Davy Mckee workers?

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I started my apprenticeship in August 1972 at Davy's.

Charlie Williams was the Training school manager. Alan Clarke and Bill Osgathorpe were the two guys who did the training.

My old apprentice mates were Mick Holloway( now Senior Sales Manager at Forgemasters)

Kevin Oates, Graham Clarkson, Andrew (Sam) Sargeant.

They were great days. Learning a trade and learning about life. The company was vast and had so many characters!!

I still say that this company set me up for the rest of my life and sadly we now have a massive void of engineering skilled people since the apprenticeship schemes were withdrawn in the eighties.

Some old names I fondly remember were Arthur Smith(Foreman) what a man! Fantastic engineer and always willing to help teach young engineers. Les Taylor and Gerry Wright in the CNC programming department, again, fantastic engineers and responsible for setting standards that are sadly missed today.

Mick Burkinshaw, Pete Cross, what senses of humour

We laughed so much with the constant mickey taking!!

Christmas Eve parties at the Sports Club, does anybody remember Chris (Sam) Rooms dancing to the Northern Soul music!!!

Great days, great times and fondly missed.

If only British manufacturing could recreate companies like this, I am totally convinced we would be a lot better off.

• 5 years later...