Is this the way forward for using our coal reserves.

I just watched the report on this process on Channel 4.

http://www.channel4.com/news/is-the-future-of-british-coal-burning-it-underground

Coal is burned underground to produce gas that can be used as a fuel or a source of plastics. It can be used on coal reserves that are beyond the reach of conventional mining. Alread around 16 licences have been granted and similar schemes are being tried elsewhere in the world.

What an interesting idea. However, I thought UK coal was too sulphurous to be burnt in the EU?

I suspect that it won't be a massive problem because the coal isn't being burned as a source of heat. It is being used to produce gas.

In the old days gas was produced from coal and was washed before it was put into the mains. Many of the impurities can be removed prior to the gas actually being used as a fuel. I think it is a very elegant solution to unmineable coal reserves. If I get a chance I will buy shares in the company.

I suspect that it won't be a massive problem because the coal isn't being burned as a source of heat. It is being used to produce gas.

In the old days gas was produced from coal and was washed before it was put into the mains. Many of the impurities can be removed prior to the gas actually being used as a fuel. I think it is a very elegant solution to unmineable coal reserves. If I get a chance I will buy shares in the company.

This kind of thing as been used in Australia and was shut down because carcinogens entered the water supply.

I think that it is a pretty timely development as our gas reserves are running down. All the coal seems to be tapped are deep and beneath the sea. The "gas" that comes up from the process at such depth is a paste and can be used for diverse uses. If it can be cleaned up properly it could provide a fuel for our cars, gas for our heating and plastics for our industries. I think it is very exciting.

If only. No doubt the energy providers will find some way of keeping prices the same, quoting R&D costs, or some kind of windfall tax.

I agree. I saw this last night and got quite excited over the fact that coal would be a form of cheap fuel.

I agree. I saw this last night and got quite excited over the fact that coal would be a form of cheap fuel.

I'm not convinced based on what happened in Australia but it does appear Maggie made a good decision to leave it where it was. :D

Archived