Charity shops make em pay

Why didn't you buy the LL cottages Mr. Businessman?

Have you considered shutting up your business, and founding a chairty, opening a charity shop, getting free rent, and using the rent to pay yourself an 18k wage?

:hihi::hihi:

Two worthy posts there. Not often that my miserable face cracks a smile. :)

heres the facts and you can dress it up all you like, most charity shops pay virtually no rent and rates, when you take your stuff in they will call the antique man in to price em or sell them to him, i saw about 20 lilliput lane cottages last week in a charity shop and the day after they were gone, i bet the antique dealer bioght em as they were all about £5 each, they usually have a manageress above all the other staff on around £18000 pa they will pay no vat and i bet no tax, i bet little goes to the charity, the sooner you wake up the better, ask your local council TOMMOROW what theyre paying in rent and rates ...........................EITHER NOWT or summat very near

The fact that you can barely string a sentence together doesn't help your case.

Charities DO pay VAT and other TAX, but quite rightly get some exceptions.

Try reading this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/vat/intro.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/tax/basics.htm

heres the facts and you can dress it up all you like, most charity shops pay virtually no rent and rates, when you take your stuff in they will call the antique man in to price em or sell them to him, i saw about 20 lilliput lane cottages last week in a charity shop and the day after they were gone, i bet the antique dealer bioght em as they were all about £5 each, they usually have a manageress above all the other staff on around £18000 pa they will pay no vat and i bet no tax, i bet little goes to the charity, the sooner you wake up the better, ask your local council TOMMOROW what theyre paying in rent and rates ...........................EITHER NOWT or summat very near

Here's the facts he says....

"Most charity shops pay virtually no rent" - numbers please

"I saw about 20..." - about? Not very accurate is it?

"I bet an antique dealer bought them" - you bet? Hardly fact then!

"I bet little goes to charity" - you're getting obsessive with this gambling lark.

The manager gets paid £18,000 a year - so what? They are in charge of a shop which benefits the community and supplies a service to people. £18,000 is hardly a lot. Take off tax and national insurance and it's even less.

You're upset that you have to pay rates, rent and tax and a charity shop does not - how low is that?

I see you're point but you're talking as though the only person the low rates benefit is the manager of the store.

Charity shops do good work for the charity, and lets not forget the people who buy from them are often not able to afford the prices that are charged for new things, and are forced to buy second hand from charity shops.

So they're helping the people for whom the charity is raising money, as well as the people who cannot afford to buy new, and are forced to buy from charity shops.

Charity shops can be more expensive than other stores.And they often sell goods that aint been donated,but come from other sources.

I am an assistant manager of a charity shop... £19.000 for a manager ? definately not paid by the charity I work for, sadly. We work longer hours than we are paid for and hardly ever have full breaks. Our shop does not pay rates, but we do pay rent and we are responsible for any repairs the building needs, it's an old building. If our charity wasn't in the shop it would probably be another empty shop. Donations by kind people are sorted by us and things of value placed on our e-bay site. If you donate you want to know the best price is recieved by the charity. More people than ever buy in charity shops, you can get decent clothes at bargain prices, and sometimes pick up a treasure the staff have misses, part of the fun of charity shops.

Archived