Can the UK afford to house and feed the world,

The amount of people will find its own balance if we stop interfering and prolonging the lives of those that can't support themselves.

so if one of your family gets ill we can stop giving them medical aid?

somehow im not so sure you mean it that close to home?

you mean those pesky foriegners again, specially the poorer ones

1) Population will level off. They mention that world population will grow the 9 billion by 2050, but they don't mention that it is expected to level off at 9 billion and then start declining for demographic reasons (assuming that we don't have a more drastic population decline for ecological reasons). Throughout human history, population has tended to grow to to the limits of the food supply and then to be limited by hunger, but after 2050, world population is expect to start declining for the first time, so it may be possible to create a world without hunger.

2) Yield per acre is still increasing enough to accommodate population growth. They mention that "the growth of yields from the world's grain fields has declined from 2.1 percent a year between 1950 and 1990 during the height of the green revolution to 1.2 percent a year since then." but they don't mention that even this 1.2 percent increase means that yield per acre will increase more than 60 percent by 2050 - more than enough to accommodate increased world population.

Source

So don't panic, anyway, most of us here on Sheffield Forum will be either dead or nearly dead by 2050 so it's all good.

Hey if GCSE and A level results keep improving at the rate they have been in the last decade, I'm sure the kids of today will be smart enough to think of a solution to any crisis that is brought before the world.

Those figures don't take into account that the developing countries will start to consume more, if everyone consumes the same as the average American then the planet can only support 1.5 billion people. 2.5 billion If everyone consumes the same as the average European.

For 9 billion to live on the planet we have to accept that many will be constantly staving and living in absolute poverty.

they come over here steal our houses and women and buy up all our cheap beans n bread :rant:

I know, it's a disgrace isn't it. :hihi:

Btw, i read an article this week that said we no longer have enough planes to send em all back home now. :(

Can the UK afford to house and feed the world, and how much would you give up to achieve this.

I believe there are too many humans on the planet and it is this fact that leaves people starving, we are after all just one of the many animals on this planet, and nature will always find a balance.

i can tell you which members on this forum who will say yes without even looking :)

The finite rock we live on cannot sustain an exponentially growing population forever.

Where we as the UK draw the line at sustaining the unsustainable is an arguable point, but at some point the planet will leave us no choice.

In the meantime I'd rather propping up unsustainable birthrates in the third world be left to individual charity than tax enforced national largesse.

so if one of your family gets ill we can stop giving them medical aid?

somehow im not so sure you mean it that close to home?

you mean those pesky foriegners again, specially the poorer ones

It’s about making a decision, either we accept that a population over 2.5 billion will result in there being poor starving people or everyone lowers there consumption to the minimum. I doubt there is going to be a queue of people living in the developed countries willing to drop their standard of living.

Archived