Why Math and not Maths?

I was watching the tv program, 'house' (apple freebie) and even Hugh Laurie, who is English, was saying zeeeebra instead of zedbra! I don't understand that, was he told to say it because Americans wouldn't understand otherwise?

He plays an american.

Dropping an unnecessary extra letter is just good sense. That the Americans thought of it decades before us doesn't make it any less good sense.

It's not an extra letter, it's already a contraction of Mathematics which describes a field of study. You'd say Physics and Chemistry as well. Dropping letters from words when they are required is just lazy.

You do know this is now an anti American thread and will receive the wrath of harley, buck and pops.:hihi:

:hihi:

Mind you, they probably will think it is an anti American thread.:o:loopy:

Dropping an unnecessary extra letter is just good sense. That the Americans thought of it decades before us doesn't make it any less good sense.

Why is it good sense? Mathematics covers a multitude of disciplines.

It's like saying "those car".

Ah, you clearly mean sense as in lack of.

There are logical arguments for both spellings. The word “mathematics” can be considered as a singular and as a plural noun. Both the Oxford and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries say the word is plural – hence the s on the end – but also that it is usually used as if it was a singular noun. So, most people would say “mathematics is my best subject” and not “mathematics are my best subject”. The shortened form “maths”, then, makes sense because the word is still a plural noun and so should still have the “s” on the end. On the other hand, it could be argued, “math” makes sense because it seems wrong to remove the letters “ematic” from the middle of the word and leave the final “s”.

There are a number of other plural nouns that are used as if they were singular – for example economics, ethics, politics, gymnastics, measles and dominoes. These words, however, are not habitually shortened, making math/maths rather an unusual word.

Archived