How many times did you take your theory test?

I passed my driving test before the theory test was introduced, so a couple of weeks ago just to see how my knowledge was doing (around the time that there were news reports that few people understood a lot of the common signs around) I did both of the official mock tests and got full marks on both.

I too passed way before there was a theory test, all we had to do was name a few road signs from some flip cards and answer a couple of basic questions, these were posed while still in the car at the end of the practical test.

Out of mild curiosity and deep boredom I have just completed the first test here. Got 49/50 (no revision and passed my test in '92), I got one of the parts wrong on question 1 but disagree with their answers as the question is somewhat ambiguous, I opted for 'take names of witnesses' over 'stop any bleeding' as the question didn't mention that they were bleeding, just unconscious.

jb

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 13:22 ----------

once. My dad took me and planned on shopping whilst I was in there but I caught him up before he had reached the first shop-it took me 5 minutes with checking over my answers....I think it is harder now though:hihi:

There was one about turning onto a side road...an old women is crossing the road. do you:

a) beep your horn as it is your right of way

b) let her cross before turning

c) carry on turning

the wording is not right but that was the gist of it. Amazing!

The things is we all know, I hope, the answer is B but I see A and C a remarkable frequency.

jb

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 13:33 ----------

... The main problem with the test is a lack of re-testing ever after. It should be compulsory every 5 years to do a re-test. It would make our roads much safer.

I think the test is too easy. Driving is a skill which some people will never master despite being able to pass the test. Such people should be either prevented from driving full stop or restricted to cars such as a Reliant Robin. To quote myself:

I think one of the problems is that there is no practical training for learner drivers on how to drive on a motorway. The number of people who don't indicate, lane hog, cut you up, tail gate and appear to have a complete lack of awareness of what is happening in front, and behind, them is truly shocking. It's a daily occurrence for me to be in either the middle or outside lane, overtaking a string of traffic with countless cars ahead of me doing the same to have some pillock drive right up to my bumper expecting me to pull into a 10 yard gap just so they can get one more car ahead in the queue.

Come the revolution when I am Overlord of the land I will implement the following:

1. A two tier driving test, with the first tier for non-motorway roads and the second for driving on the motorway. For each tier you will have to complete a minimum of 10 hrs driving monitored by a trained assessor where you have to demonstrate you can drive at a pass level.
  2. A grading system for each tier for driving more powerful cars (something like what we have for motorbikes).
  3. A driving test which is significantly harder than the one we have now, with a three fails and your out policy (possibly being allowed to retest after a two year break) and 70% pass rate after three tests (so basically hard enough such that 30% of the population will never be good enough to pass).
  4. Retest every 10 years
  5. Retest after accumulating 9 points or 3 if in the first year or 6 if in the second

jb

I have taken driving tests both before they introduced the theory test, and afterwards. A total of five tests. The first time, I failed twice on the actual driving test but passed the actual driving test the third time. The second time, I passed the theory test first time, but dropped more marks than I thought I would, when I got the results. However I went on, to fail the actual driving test after that. I passed on the second attempt though.

each time I failed, I knew I had failed and was not surprised when the instructor delivered the verdict. Same, both times I passed as well. I knew I had driven well enough to pass, on both occasions.

How surprising, you are usually so confident. Are you still running the 3 wheeler?

Anyone who fails a theory test deserves to.

you get the dvd and keep practising until you pass everytime,they are the same questions that keep coming up.Once you know them then you will pass,its nots rocket science is it?

As for the hazard perception most people fail this because they dont grasp what they are looking for.

you are looking for a hazard that if you didnt alter your speed or course there WOULD be an accident,nothing else!

the mouse click represents the steering or brakes.

If you cant be bothered to put the effort in for a week to practice then you get out what you put in,nothing...............

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 09:37 ----------

whats amazing about it?

Buying the DVD gets you an out-of-date set of questions since the DSA stopped publishing them more than a year ago.

How different the current set is remains a mystery to anyone who has not sat through a recent theory test.

I have taken driving tests both before they introduced the theory test, and afterwards. A total of five tests. The first time, I failed twice on the actual driving test but passed the actual driving test the third time. The second time, I passed the theory test first time, but dropped more marks than I thought I would, when I got the results. However I went on, to fail the actual driving test after that. I passed on the second attempt though.

each time I failed, I knew I had failed and was not surprised when the instructor delivered the verdict. Same, both times I passed as well. I knew I had driven well enough to pass, on both occasions.

Why would you need to take another test after you had passed?

Buying the DVD gets you an out-of-date set of questions since the DSA stopped publishing them more than a year ago.

How different the current set is remains a mystery to anyone who has not sat through a recent theory test.

same questions just more.

you can get banned, and have to take your test again. Maybe they should have that question in the driving theory test.

You dont get banned,your licence is revoked by DVLA for 6 points or more.

Archived