UK Military Warning To Iran Over Strait Closure

Anyway, to bring this back on topic and distract our 'Merkin cousins from thinking with their balls rather than their brains, next week the UK is dispatching HMS Daring, a HMS Type 45 Destroyer which is said to be the most sophisticated warship on the plane. ;).

Apparently it can single handedly do the job of five Type 42's or the whole of the 5th Fleet on a weekend.

The US Navy can keep warm in the hanger for now.

It must be a pretty compact vessel if it's being flown on station by plane. :D

Anyway I await with breathless anticipation the news of the adventures and achievments of this sea going wonder.

I hope it's captain isn't the same one who did nothing when the Iranians took some of his crew hostage a year or so back

If there is 'military intervention' to stop Iran from blocking the straits of Hormuz, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was NATO - rather than individual countries - which intervened.

The Iranians do have a significant navy - which probably wouldn't last very long.

If the world thinks that Iran really intends to block the straits, what will that do to the price of oil?

So are you telling me that all those people you see queueing at MacDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc are Americans on holiday? :hihi:

As Harleyman pointed out, there is indeed a large number of fa(s)t food emporia in the US, but there is also no shortage of 'proper' food.

I lived in Mississippi for about 18 months. MS is the most obese state in the US - It may well have the highest level of obesity in the world.

I was told: "The reason so many people are fat is that they are so poor. They have to live on macaroni cheese." I replied: "Maybe, but they don't have to eat two boxes at a sitting." The real reason for the high obesity levels in that state may have something to do with the amount of fried food and sugar they consume. If you go into a café or restaurant and order iced tea, then - unless you remember to say UNSWEETENED ice tea, you will get a pint glass of ice, 'tea' and half a pound of sugar. There is no shortage of fresh vegetables in MS, but many of them are eaten fried! Fried green vegetables?:gag:

You won't see many emaciated people where I'm living at the moment. Indeed, many people are clinically overweight, but the level of morbid obesity around here seems to be rather less than it is in Sheffield.

The UK is officially the fattest state in Europe. I don't know where Sheffield would come on the 'fatties' list, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's some way below Glasgow and way above a number of places in the South.

As for Sheffielders not overeating, did you see this thread?

are there any BIG steak pubs or restaurants in or near sheffield minimum 32oz ?

"...i remember the 52 oz steak at the merry lads it was free if you finished the meal,but it came with all the trimmings about two shovelfulls of chips 2lb of peas and half a field of salad ..."

A 52Oz steak would provide 10 meals in my house!

Pot. Kettle. Black.

There's definitely a link between education and obesity. As a great number of people in Mississippi dont have what could be called a decent education and dont interest themselves enough in following the daily news preferring instead to tune into Oprah Winfrey or Judge Judy for their intellectual nourishment then it stands to reason that they remain largely ignorant on the subject of fats and cholesterol content in their diets

The same could be said of Sheffield. I'll bet if a survey was taken there would be a greater number of obese people in the council flat/housing areas of the city. They would also be white beyond a doubt. British Muslims and Hindus dont generally feed themselves at places like McDonalds

If there is 'military intervention' to stop Iran from blocking the straits of Hormuz, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was NATO - rather than individual countries - which intervened.

The Iranians do have a significant navy - which probably wouldn't last very long.

If the world thinks that Iran really intends to block the straits, what will that do to the price of oil?

The petrol stations will be either closed or limited to rationing in the UK and the rest of Europe along with sky high prices. Bus and railway fares will also go way up

The price in the US will also skyrocket, people will grumble loudly but there will still be no shortage. Electric cars and hybrids will be moving off new and used car lots faster than greased lightning

I think you'll see another ad-hoc coalition of the willing (a la Kuwait 1990), and the Arab states will be making serious contributions in logistics and materiel, if not in combat units.

But at risk of doing a Peter Snow (who said of the Iraqi military buildup on the Kuwaiti border "It's just sabre rattling"), I think that closing the straits is little more than rhetoric, to inject some FUD, wobble the oil prices and playing to the gallery for domestic political purposes.

Archived