UK Military Warning To Iran Over Strait Closure

The difference being in the days of Empire we had the inclination to carry out wanton acts of violence. Today no country can seriously consider using their nuclear weapons, which I assume you mean by suggesting the taking out of half a country, for aggression.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, merely pointing out the potential of our navy. With Iran posturing about nuclear weapons itself it is reassuring to know that if push came to shove they know that their country could pretty easily be flattened.

If Iran wants to play silly buggers over international waters I'm pretty sure there are enough navys from countries with a vested interest to police the zone and inflict dire retribution on any shore based attacks should they occur.

surely the yanks 5th fleet can do that single handed.

All being well yes, but it wouldn't be certainty. The questions are, should the US armed forces be responsible for the actions of the EUs diplomacy, is there the public will for another major war in the US, and could the US afford another major war?

Hmmm, well the Iranians are allegedly developing nuclear weapons, so if one "accidentally" went off very near to one of their nuclear facilities, (like the "accidental" explosion at one of their missile facilities recently that offed a few of their top missile people), who's to say it wasn't an Iranian bucket of instant sunshine? Would Iran be clever enough to claim it was one of theirs, to try to put the frighteners on the rest of the world, considering that whoever had done it wouldn't be putting their hand up to confess? Now that would be an interesting scenario.

Just saying like...

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

All being well yes, but it wouldn't be certainty. The questions are, should the US armed forces be responsible for the actions of the EUs diplomacy, is there the public will for another major war in the US, and could the US afford another major war?

The US is gearing up for war already on the nuclear angle (i'm sure oil comes into it somewhere). The EU beef seems entirely oil based.. then theres the Saudis, who are ready to back Washington. Looks like Iran is well and truly screwed - Israel must be laughing its head off that the whole world is now involved and its taken a back seat completely (although probably at the forefront of the covert stuff).

The Iran leaders are just sounding off. All wind and p*ss. Things are not going well in Teheran. They've jailed diissidents and curbed any further open demonstrations but there's still quite a strong undercurrent of discontent among many Iranians nevertheless.

The leadership of their principal ally Syria could soon be history and with it the alliance and of course the pressures caused by the current boycotts are beginning to bite also.

I could foresee Iran really stirring up trouble in Iraq as a diversion in the coming year

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, merely pointing out the potential of our navy. With Iran posturing about nuclear weapons itself it is reassuring to know that if push came to shove they know that their country could pretty easily be flattened.

If Iran wants to play silly buggers over international waters I'm pretty sure there are enough navys from countries with a vested interest to police the zone and inflict dire retribution on any shore based attacks should they occur.

I know you was talking about the potential, I was just pointing out the political limitations of the potential.

Archived