UK Military Warning To Iran Over Strait Closure

Though I believe that the RN doesn't count their inflatables and ceremonial launches as warships.

Well quite.

Again disregarding technological differences, and on the raw numbers, the Royal Navy is the:

9th largest operator of frigates (22% of largest, USA)

6th largest operator of destroyers (10.1%)

10th largest operator of submarines (14.6%)

31st largest operator of patrol boats (2.45% of largest - China)

Well quite.

Again disregarding technological differences, and on the raw numbers, the Royal Navy is the:

9th largest operator of frigates (22% of largest, USA)

6th largest operator of destroyers (10.1%)

10th largest operator of submarines (14.6%)

31st largest operator of patrol boats (2.45% of largest - China)

Well Quite indeed.

Wonder what would happen in these cases if everyone just GREW UP....and took personal responsibility, acting in a loving, caring, unselfish and mature way?

As opposed to the F/A-18 that entered service exactly 29 years ago on Saturday, nine years after the F-14?

It's certain that the F-18 has been considerably upgraded over 29 years otherwise the navy wouldn't be using it.

Aircraft museums usually have an F-14 on display somewhere.

The F-22 is somewhere on course towards entering service. I dont know much on that though.

Why don't we just stay out of it.

This will result in a lot of deaths. We don't want more blood on our hands after what Blair did in Iraq.

No more British deaths fighting for American oil.

Not having a go but do you know who's just forked out to explore potential afghan oil reserves ? The Chinese. So really, no oil, but some cheap plastic toys come christmas. Bring em home.

Meanwhile, back on topic, without an aircraft carrier if the uk sabre rattling just that? When was the last time the RN involved in ship to ship fisty cuffs after the Falklands, apart from a few Somali pirates ? Surely we could have dropped other things to give us an operational aircraft carrier.

Sorry old chum but you can't change the facts even if you want a different version of history.

Nobody declared war. There was a UN resolution put forward by the UK and France and somebody else who escapes me (not the USA) for a No Fly Zone and some other handy stuff.

The RAF and ALA began air operations on the same day that UK submarines and 'Merkin Surrendermonkeymarines launched cruise missiles.

Now, about that Enigma Machine... :|

Why do you call everything "Merkin" that is American? Is this some new "Sheffieldspeak" that we on the other side of the pond have not yet had the privilege of being acqainted with? :D

If it ever came down to a really serious shooting war with the west against some country that had real balls in it's weaponry who do you think would be the mainstay force on the western side?

You tend to get carried away with yourself old lad. Merkinspeak fumes are clouding your judgement

I mean no disrespect to the RAF, the Army or the Royal Navy but they are not what they were 50 years ago. Budget cuts and downsizing have seriously reduced their capability of carrying out a campaign single handedly against a well equipped foe

.The Falklands war was a pushover. Most of the Argies were green conscripts who had no stomach for a real war. A sunken battleship and a charging squad of Ghurkhas turned them to liquid smoolash !

Do you think Saddam could have been kicked out of Kuwait without US involvement ? I think not

As for the enigma machine what I understand is that a Pole managed to smuggle it out in bits and pieces and it fell into the hands of the bright boys of Brit intelligence who re-assembled it and eventually succeeded in breaking the code. Kudos for that ! It went a long way towards winning the war

Not having a go but do you know who's just forked out to explore potential afghan oil reserves ? The Chinese. So really, no oil, but some cheap plastic toys come christmas. Bring em home.

Meanwhile, back on topic, without an aircraft carrier if the uk sabre rattling just that? When was the last time the RN involved in ship to ship fisty cuffs after the Falklands, apart from a few Somali pirates ? Surely we could have dropped other things to give us an operational aircraft carrier.

Any war against Iran will be conducted from aircraft carriers and missile carrying destoyers/submarines.

There'll be no charge of the Light Brigade or Gunga Din stuff in any of that :D

Well Quite indeed.

Wonder what would happen in these cases if everyone just GREW UP....and took personal responsibility, acting in a loving, caring, unselfish and mature way?

Well a global revolution in consciousness would undoubtedly be a Good Thing™, but unless you have some foolproof plan to bring it about, it's highly improbable at best.

Any war against Iran will be conducted from aircraft carriers and missile carrying destoyers/submarines.

There'll be no charge of the Light Brigade or Gunga Din stuff in any of that :D

As patriotic and supportive of our armed forces, it's hard not to agree with that statement. Theres little point of having a fighting force if we can't get them to where they need to be without relying on other states. Surely the RN key role, bar a bit of anti pirate/search and rescue stuff is to provide a platform for troops, planes and helicopters of as many different flavours as possible. Having lots of destroyers and no useable aircraft carrier is the wrong way round for me. But what do I know ?

Archived