Would you ever consider becoming a 'Traveller'?

And to answer the OP, I quite fancy it actually. But I reckon it's a game best played while young. I'm too settled and fond of home these days.

Yeah i can see the attraction of that lifestyle, especially with 47 million pounds been pumped into making Gypsy camps better i can see it becoming a popular move, especially for the unemployed under 35's.

Yeah i can see the attraction of that lifestyle, especially with 47 million pounds been pumped into making Gypsy camps better i can see it becoming a popular move, especially for the unemployed under 35's.

I think you're missing quite an important point however. The travelling/ gypsy community operates as a society seperate from the wider UK society. They have different cultural beliefs and rituals and due to a mix of persecution by the UK authorities and local communities as well as the detrimental actions of their own bad elements they've become ostracised from and suspicious of our society.

If you or I were to try to move onto a traveller site in a caravan we wouldn't be made welcome at all and even if we were we'd stuggle to assimilate into the culture. I think it's great that this money has been set aside to aid travellers, particularly after the way past governments have treated them, but you or I would never benefit from it.

Saying that, there are ways that somebody from this society can make a decent life on the road. Wwoofing is one option- where you essentially trade your labour on farms for necessities such as food, electricity and accomodation. Another option would be to set up a self-reliant business such as writing or crafting and make good use of the internet or craft fairs. If you can bring in an income you can travel from camp site to camp site. By doing this you can live far cheaper than you can if you take on a mortgage or rent and still live very comfortably.

I think you're missing quite an important point however. The travelling/ gypsy community operates as a society seperate from the wider UK society. They have different cultural beliefs and rituals and due to a mix of persecution by the UK authorities and local communities as well as the detrimental actions of their own bad elements they've become ostracised from and suspicious of our society.

If you or I were to try to move onto a traveller site in a caravan we wouldn't be made welcome at all and even if we were we'd stuggle to assimilate into the culture. I think it's great that this money has been set aside to aid travellers, particularly after the way past governments have treated them, but you or I would never benefit from it.

They have more non beliefs and rituals, than beliefs.

They dont believe in paying tax.

They dont believe in paying rent.

They dont believe in driving licences.

They dont believe in motor insurance.

They dont believe in Road Tax.

And many more non beliefs, I am sure.

They do believe however, that all property is theirs by right.

They believe that ownership is theft, ergo, theft is ownership.

Great people the travellers.

Unfortunately, they don't (in many cases) 'operate as a separate society from UK society.' - They might not wish to live in UK society, but they have no objections to relying on UK society to fund their lifestyle.

I've no objection to living in different places. - I've moved so often that it seems strange to me to be in any one place for an extended period.

There is a considerable number of people in the US who spend much of their lives travelling. - Mainly retired people, but also many with jobs which they can do 'on the road'. 'Snowbirds' aren't all retired people.

I like where I'm living at the moment - it's 10:30, the sky is blue, the sun is shining, it's 21'C. The opportunities for sailing, fishing, swimming or just laying on the beach are there .... and I'll be going at least one of those things in a couple of hours time.

There aren't any mountains here. (The nearest thing to a 'mountain' is a fire ant nest - and you don't want to climb one of those. :hihi:) The scenery isn't particularly spectacular (apart from on the beach) and the roads are boring.

In summer, I will live in the mountains. - Stunning scenery, 'interesting' roads and good hiking.

I'm surprised you feel that travelling and living in campsites is cheap. (Though housing is expensive and rents are high.) I suppose it depends on where and when you camp, how much the campsite is costs you, how much actual travelling you are going to do and what you are prepared to accept for accommodation.

I considered seriously buying a caravan (or a mobile home) and living in it during the summer. I wouldn't want to live in a 15ft caravan for 5 or 6 months - that would soon seem a bit cramped. A large well-insulated, well-equipped caravan isn't cheap and my wife's car wouldn't be able to tow one, so I would need to buy a towing vehicle. The outlay would've been fairly high.

I looked at powered campers. Again, not cheap to buy, require maintenance and the resale value (if I bought new) would be considerably lower than the purchase price. There are second-hand campers available, but they're not cheap, either.

Then I considered the fuel costs. Fuel is rather cheaper here than it is in the UK, but it's still a significant expense. Not only would I need road fuel, but I would also need fuel for air conditioning/heating and electricity generation.

Then I looked at campsite costs. Even with state park season passes (about £130) campsites cost in the region of £15-£25 a night for a 'developed' site (with mains power, water, washing facilities/lavatories and a launderette.)

My 'rent' - the cost of occupying the campsite - was going to work out at somewhere in the region of £3500 - £4000 for 5 months. (That would, admittedly, have included the cost of electricity and water) but when I added in the travel costs, cost of the camper, costs of maintenance and depreciation, it no longer seemed like a cheap option, unfortunately.

Archived