Internet dating.. good, bad or just plain ugly??

As AO said earlier, with internet dating you do get a chance to weed out the rubbish to some degree.

I've already said just about everything I can on this subject and I couldn't disagree more with this statement (for the reasons already provided).

I wrote a follow up note to say that I wouldn't allow anyone to pay on a first date but it would be nice for them to offer.

So, no I don't expect it and that is NOT why I'm single...... haha - I wish it was that simple!

That's good...but I never suggested you were, all the same.

Soulgirl? You're not 75 are you?:hihi:

I don't know why people are so sniffy about online dating. I have no personal experience but know plenty of people who are happily coupled with someone they met via an online dating site. Common sense should be applied, as it should be in the real world. People will always lie and/or be economical with the truth but I am told by those with experience that you soon become adept at weeding out time wasters and nutters. The positive side to meeting people via this medium enables you to cast your net far wider and come into contact with more people, so you are in fact optimising your chances of meeting that soul mate. I've heard of more disaster stories and tales of woe from people who have met a partner in real life only to discover that they're deeply flawed, dysfunctional and not relationship material. A very strong sexual attraction and chemistry in real life can often cloud one's judgement!

My advice, based on friends' experiences is to get the initial meeting out of the way sooner rather than later. It seems that it's easier to have an online rapport with someone which does not translate into a real life one, so it's better to find this out earlier on rather than further down the line when a steamy and intense online relationship has become established. As with real life, there does appear to be far more eligible women looking for a partner than men. Good luck!

But do you agree there's any validity in my other comment?

Given the response below, with regards to initial part of the same subject, I would say no :D Seems this person has a very unfair view of internet dating :)

This is fundamentally and absolutely false in just about every respect. You might as well get it over and done with and meet a person (just follow the Laws of Dating (to be safe)).

Why (before you ask) because people can and will say ANYTHING and a lot of people are very very good at coming across very nicely online to turn out to be a user in real life. See Time Wasters for more information.

Nice to hear that you have friends who have had success and like you say it does mean you can cast your net wider! Also as a single Mum it can be difficult to get out and meet lots and lots of new people, that's why I thought this may be an option.

Archived