Caring Traffic warden sacked

If someone drives up to park on a yellow line and a warden is around, I'd expect them to direct the driver away, not just to ticket them. There is nothing to say the traffic warden in question didn't ticket illegally parked cars, just that he was helpful to people. Being target driven often does not produce the best results. It's a balance in my opinion.

There are not enough facts, yet, in this case to be objective.

To balance some of the assumptions, how about this ...

Traders say they like his attitude. Perhaps (and only 'perhaps') he had developed a routine of popping into shops and telling folk to move their cars, instead of ticketing?

This develops a habit of parking illegally, safe in the knowledge that you are unlikely to get a ticket. Rather, good old Hakim will just move you on?

There are not enough facts, yet, in this case to be objective.

To balance some of the assumptions, how about this ...

Traders say they like his attitude. Perhaps (and only 'perhaps') he had developed a routine of popping into shops and telling folk to move their cars, instead of ticketing?

This develops a habit of parking illegally, safe in the knowledge that you are unlikely to get a ticket. Rather, good old Hakim will just move you on?

If i was asked politely to move on because of (reason) this would have the desired affect on me rather then promote parking illegally. As it is signs and yellow lines do a great job in preventing me from doing what i'm asked not to. It's for the powers to decide whether or not Mr H was doing his job correctly or otherwiswe though as you say.

How do we know this traffic warden hasn't simply seen this person about to park illegally and just simply told them not to do it? ie, just said 'you're not allowed to park there or you'll be issued with a ticket'. How is dismissal proportionate to stopping someone from parking illegally? Isn't that part of his job? To stop people parking illegally as well as issuing tickets to those who have?

If i was asked politely to move on because of (reason) this would have the desired affect on me rather then promote parking illegally. As it is signs and yellow lines do a great job in preventing me from doing what i'm asked not to. It's for the powers to decide whether or not Mr H was doing his job correctly or otherwiswe though as you say.

That's not what I was suggesting.

If I pull up and he moves me on ... good result. 'cos I will know better next time.

If I pull up and go into the shops, safe in the knowledge that I won't be ticketed, but he will come and tell me to move ... bad result. 'cos I will keep on parking there.

That's not what I was suggesting.

If I pull up and he moves me on ... good result. 'cos I will know better next time.

If I pull up and go into the shops, safe in the knowledge that I won't be ticketed, but he will come and tell me to move ... bad result. 'cos I will keep on parking there.

With ya, apologies. Yes that would be bad practice if he was doing that.

If I employed someone in my store to sell things, I wouldn’t expect that employee to tell people where to buy the items cheaper, although it may be considered a nice thing to do it wouldn’t help my business and he would be sacked. The council employed him to give tickets to illegally parked drivers, if he didn’t and just told them to move on then he wasn’t do his job. I would expect the police to prosecute a criminal not just tell them they shouldn’t be breaking into that house and ask them to move on.

And any revenue the council makes out of unlawful citizens is less for everyone else to pay out.

But the difference is SUPPOSED to be your shop would have been set up to earn money,is that what your saying the councils are doing?Setting up to earn money,because thats exactly what he says they are doing and thats not what they are there for they are there to keep the streets safe and moving and if that can be done without earning massive amounts of money then it should be!

How is running over time on a meter unlawful exactly?Now you want to compare them with burglers,ha ha get real!

How do we know this traffic warden hasn't simply seen this person about to park illegally and just simply told them not to do it? ie, just said 'you're not allowed to park there or you'll be issued with a ticket'. How is dismissal proportionate to stopping someone from parking illegally? Isn't that part of his job? To stop people parking illegally as well as issuing tickets to those who have?

Exactly,but its not about providing a service any more but making money and its blatently obvious to both drivers and it seems staff!

But the difference is SUPPOSED to be your shop would have been set up to earn money,is that what your saying the councils are doing?Setting up to earn money,because thats exactly what he says they are doing and thats not what they are there for they are there to keep the streets safe and moving and if that can be done without earning massive amounts of money then it should be!

How is running over time on a meter unlawful exactly?Now you want to compare them with burglers,ha ha get real!

I don’t have a problem with a council making enough money from litter louts to pay for litter wardens; I don’t have a problem with a council making enough money from illegal parking to pay for parking wardens. Why should the people that don’t park illegally or drop litter pay to solve the problem.

Every penny they make from someone doing something they are not supposed to do is less money for everyone else to pay.

I have no problem with someone being sacked for what was in essence refusing to do their job, which is to penalise illegally parked cars.

It is inaccurate. He didn't put the public first; he put people parking illegally, first.

There are already warnings that you face a fine for parking illegally. Usually, they're called yellow lines. The job of a traffic warden is not to replace the yellow lines by giving people a warning; it is to impose penalties on people who have chosen to ignore said warning.

I'd have thought being a traffic warden (well, for the thinking ones that choose to use the grey matter in their head and exercise discretion and judgement just like everybody else does every day in their working lives) is to enforce parking rules which on occasion may mean talking to people, advising them, moving them on etc in a way that would best serve the end goal of keeping traffic routes open etc in the particular circumstances that faces them, rather than being ticket dispensing automatons, after all, they are public servants there to serve the public, funded from the public purse.

--

Every penny they make from someone doing something they are not supposed to do is less money for everyone else to pay.

How would you (someone) being fined help me financially If I (everyone else) didn't offend?

Archived