Caring Traffic warden sacked

How would you (someone) being fined help me financially If I (everyone else) didn't offend?

You would receive the services of a parking warden or litter warden without having to pay for it. If the council didn't make money from some of the services it provides then we would have to pay more to receive them.

So you're saying it's a double wammy tax? Paid for by the offender and the non offender?

No I'm saying the offender pays and not the non offender, if the council stopped making money from offenders then non offenders would have to pay more to cover the lost revenue or lose the service.

And it's a service for us to have less congested roads at times and if it's hard to park where you live, then a space designated to residents.... So a better life too.

But I already pay tax to use roads, why should an individual have a right to a road I equally pay for? Private roads I agree.

I'm now not sure... someone who pays because of offending? or someone who pays for not offending?

Well the way I see it is I pay council tax not happily but I do so i'm damned if i'm paying extra purely because I find it easier to park where I shouldn't ;)

But I already pay tax to use roads, why should an individual have a right to a road I equally pay for? Private roads I agree.

It's the way city planning works. Either there should be enough parking or public transport to support the area. Otherwise it adds to congestions and problems in the area.

I don’t have a problem with a council making enough money from litter louts to pay for litter wardens; I don’t have a problem with a council making enough money from illegal parking to pay for parking wardens. Why should the people that don’t park illegally or drop litter pay to solve the problem.

Every penny they make from someone doing something they are not supposed to do is less money for everyone else to pay.

They are not there to make money,they are there to provide a service,or they should be!

Why should everything come down to money?

Imagine this,you have the powers to design and police a street and earn money off it and business is slow what are you going to do?

You could threaten your staff with the sack to give more tickets

you could repaint the street to allow less parking

reduce meter numbers

you could reduce the times allowed on a meter to below usable amounts

you could even put out of order signs on pay and display machines leaving phone only purchases.

All things the councils have done,but the real problem is goods and people still have to go about their business in sometimes near impossible situations which are designed to cause drivers to have no alternative but to take the risk.

How many drivers delivering to shops do you think occur tickets?Its quite often factored into delivery costs now as quite often they cant be avoided.

on a very quick search

Sheffield Council made £5.62m in parking charges and fines last year (2008 )

I have no doubt they have at least doubled that by now.

Nice little earner isnt it?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield_council_made_163_5_62m_in_parking_charges_and_fines_last_year_1_297198

Archived