Caring Traffic warden sacked

They are not there to make money,they are there to provide a service,or they should be!

Why should everything come down to money?

Imagine this,you have the powers to design and police a street and earn money off it and business is slow what are you going to do?

You could threaten your staff with the sack to give more tickets

you could repaint the street to allow less parking

reduce meter numbers

you could reduce the times allowed on a meter to below usable amounts

you could even put out of order signs on pay and display machines leaving phone only purchases.

All things the councils have done,but the real problem is goods and people still have to go about their business in sometimes near impossible situations which are designed to cause drivers to have no alternative but to take the risk.

How many drivers delivering to shops do you think occur tickets?Its quite often factored into delivery costs now as quite often they cant be avoided.

on a very quick search

Sheffield Council made £5.62m in parking charges and fines last year (2008 )

I have no doubt they have at least doubled that by now.

Nice little earner isnt it?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield_council_made_163_5_62m_in_parking_charges_and_fines_last_year_1_297198

It’s good that so much money was paid into the system by parking offenders instead of non offenders but it does show that many people in Sheffield have no regard for the rules, I don’t park where I shouldn’t park, and I’m happy that those people that do park where they shouldn’t park have to pay for the privilege.

Clearly if the parking wardens are funded from parking fines and people stop parking in the wrong place and no money comes in, then we wouldn’t need the parking wardens any more so would make them redundant.

It’s good that so much money was paid into the system by parking offenders instead of non offenders but it does show that many people in Sheffield have no regard for the rules, I don’t park where I shouldn’t park, and I’m happy that those people that do park where they shouldn’t park have to pay for the privilege.

Clearly if the parking wardens are funded from parking fines and people stop parking in the wrong place and no money comes in, then we wouldn’t need the parking wardens any more so would make them redundant.

Have you actually bothered to read anything i wrote?

To a lot of wealthy people, parking fines are a minor bureaucratic nuisance, like a £60 fine for a professional footballer for speeding. Personally I hope the idiots who park where they like with no thought for anyone else get their cars keyed.

• 3 weeks later...

At the tribunal in Holborn, judge Jeremy Burns ruled that Mr Berkani was unfairly dismissed for his 'opposition to the respondent’s clandestine quote system' and his GMB trade union activities. Judge Burns said Mr Berkani only issued tickets as 'a last resort'.

His judgment stated that managers felt 'under pressure' and 'passed this pressure' to the wardens, called civil enforcement officers.

The tribunal found that three NSL bosses — Andrew Davison, Stephen Rowlands and Andy Dunbar — had tried to 'frame' Mr Berkani on trumped-up charges.

Damages for Mr Berkani, who wants his job back, are to be decided at a hearing on February 27. NSL continues to dispute the existence of the quota. Alastair Cooper, its enforcement solutions director, said: 'We are extremely disappointed with this judgment and are considering our options.

'We categorically deny any suggestion that any of our colleagues are set targets or receive incentives linked to the number of penalty charge notices that are issued.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092315/Traffic-warden-hailed-hero-exposing-secret-quota-scheme-forcing-inspectors-issue-10-tickets-day.html

If you don't park illegally, you don't get a ticket. I'm fed up with motorists whining about their own lawbreaking. Getting in a car doesn't make you suddenly immune to laws. Your cars make town centres more noisy, dangerous and polluted, as well as ugly. Chosing to drive rather than get on public transport should be a habit that is as frowned upon as smoking.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24031298-hero-warden-exposes-secret-parking-quotas.do

At the tribunal in Holborn, judge Jeremy Burns ruled that Mr Berkani was unfairly dismissed for his 'opposition to the respondent’s clandestine quote system' and his GMB trade union activities. Judge Burns said Mr Berkani only issued tickets as 'a last resort'.

Then Judge Burns himself has agreed that he should have been fired. How can he rule an unfair dismissal?

Then Judge Burns himself has agreed that he should have been fired. How can he rule an unfair dismissal?

That isn't why he was sacked, nor the grounds for which he was claiming unfair dismissal. It was claimed he was sacked due to his whistleblowing/opposition to the quota system (which is illegal) that the company was allegedly operating, and his invovlement with the trade union.

The court agreed based on the evidence.

Archived