Too many heartbreaking appeals on TV?

I,m not the sentimental type coming from my background you never let anyone see your feelings as this was taken as a weakness,I guess a lot of blokes of my age are the same!.But I,ve got to admit the number of appeals on TV the starving children and the abused little ones are really upsetting.Apart from children you are asked to save the snow leopard,save the donkeys,the rain forest adopt a tiger cub,save the bears,dogs and cats build a well for an African village.One that gets to your heartstrings,the little blind and deaf boy all upsetting but its coming at you over and over and it gets fatiguing therefore losing its intended impact.Am I alone thinking this way I must admit feeling guilty about it!.:confused::huh:

The animal ones are the worst.

No I do not want to adopt a turtle.

Every year over 250,000 marine turtles drown by becoming entangled in fishing lines and nets that choke the world’s oceans, but adopting a Hawksbill Turtle you can help WWF halt the devastation.

More kids die in Africa every month, why would anyone rather save a turtle than a child?

I don't watch tv, i'm usually either too busy working to provide for my own or sleeping.

When i'm rich and retired i may turn the tv on and start to give a s..t, i'll guarantee you the CO's of these charities aren't losing sleep though, so why should i. ?

Because turtles don't arm themselves with AK47s when they reach their early teens?

Geldof's Live Aid brought the problems of the 3rd World into the news. Developed countries have (no doubt) saved very many lives in Africa since then - but the problem is still there.

In many African states, people are unable to farm and to feed themselves because of the seemingly never-ending civil wars.

What were those who are now the soldiers fighting in those civil wars doing 15-25 years ago? (Or in some cases, even less.)

Many of them were starving children. They were saved from starvation by (largely) Western Aid, so that they could grow up (or at least get into their teens) and then make others in their countries starve.

I too am saddened - and often horrified - by pictures of starving children. (In many cases, the mothers seem to be fairly well fed, however.)

Is pouring aid into Africa indefinitely the answer?

Much of that aid seems to go direct to the soldiers who are doing the fighting - not to those who are starving. What does get to the starving helps to build the next generation of soldiers.

At some time, perhaps Africa will realise that the problem in Africa is Africa's problem; that they need to stop fighting and get back to farming.

The Africans don't want outside intervention - and we all know that colonialism is bad, and everybody who lived in countries which were 'occupied' by imperialist Western colonials were far worse off than the inhabitants of those countries are nowadays, don't we?

If the Africans don't want outside interference (and that is their right) why doesn't the OAU (Africa's Army) step in and sort out Africa's problem?

More kids die in Africa every month, why would anyone rather save a turtle than a child?

Speakng for myself I feel a lot more sympathy for an animal and a lot more belief in the cause that hopes to make a change. I also see evidence that things have improved.

Because turtles don't arm themselves with AK47s when they reach their early teens?

Geldof's Live Aid brought the problems of the 3rd World into the news. Developed countries have (no doubt) saved very many lives in Africa since then - but the problem is still there.

In many African states, people are unable to farm and to feed themselves because of the seemingly never-ending civil wars.

What were those who are now the soldiers fighting in those civil wars doing 15-25 years ago? (Or in some cases, even less.)

Many of them were starving children. They were saved from starvation by (largely) Western Aid, so that they could grow up (or at least get into their teens) and then make others in their countries starve.

I too am saddened - and often horrified - by pictures of starving children. (In many cases, the mothers seem to be fairly well fed, however.)

Is pouring aid into Africa indefinitely the answer?

Much of that aid seems to go direct to the soldiers who are doing the fighting - not to those who are starving. What does get to the starving helps to build the next generation of soldiers.

At some time, perhaps Africa will realise that the problem in Africa is Africa's problem; that they need to stop fighting and get back to farming.

The Africans don't want outside intervention - and we all know that colonialism is bad, and everybody who lived in countries which were 'occupied' by imperialist Western colonials were far worse off than the inhabitants of those countries are nowadays, don't we?

If the Africans don't want outside interference (and that is their right) why doesn't the OAU (Africa's Army) step in and sort out Africa's problem?

This says it more eloquently than I could so I'm just quoting it.

The animal ones are the worst.

No I do not want to adopt a turtle.

Because turtles are capable of feeding themselves and don’t have the mental capacity to control their own environment which humans are destroying.

Archived