Which teacher used to scare you most ?

grinder

While I was at King Edward VII school, there was a teacher called Charlie Baker who took my class for Religious Studies. He was always immaculately dressed and although he sometimes wore a gown he didn't look like your typical school master. He was way more smartly attired than the rest of the teachers. He spoke in a very affected, "Queen's English" accent and seemed a very pleasant man. However when he got angry he became unhinged. My first experience of this behaviour was was when he once turned up 5 minutes late for one of our lessons. Arriving at the classroom, instead of finding a group of diligent students reading quietly, patiently waiting for their teacher, he found an disorderly rabble, audiable from halfway down the corridor. Of course everything went quiet when he entered the room. He closed the door behind him and began to tell us calmly and quietly why it was not acceptable to make such a racket and that we should have been using the time more effectively. As he continued with the ticking off his voice became louder and louder until he was in a complete rage, bellowing at the top of his voice, his face bright red and his body shaking with fury. He was standing fairly close to me so I got the full effect complete with shock waves. It was very unsettling. The fact that he looked like a complete gentleman added to the impact and made the experience all the more disturbing. I witnessed this behaviour a few more times and it never lost its impact. Scary man.

I remember this teacher as well. I was told (but I haven't checked) that he was later convicted of misappropriating some funds. Not quite what you would expect from someone projecting this image and teaching religious studies!

They were strict but that doesn't make them bullies, they were there to teach you and you were there to learn. Not like today when trhe pupils are actually bullies who batter each other and the teachers

No this man(Mr. Jennings) was a bully. I know the difference between being strict and bullying.

I remember this teacher as well. I was told (but I haven't checked) that he was later convicted of misappropriating some funds. Not quite what you would expect from someone projecting this image and teaching religious studies!

A few years after I'd left school, I heard the same story but refused to believe it as I was certain that he was a man of robust integrity, despite being a screaming maniac at times. After all, he was so immaculately dressed, he taught Religious Studies, he spoke with such a posh accent! However since discovering this forum I have seen other posts which bear out this claim.

While I was at King Edward VII school, there was a teacher called Charlie Baker who took my class for Religious Studies. He was always immaculately dressed and although he sometimes wore a gown he didn't look like your typical school master. He was way more smartly attired than the rest of the teachers. He spoke in a very affected, "Queen's English" accent and seemed a very pleasant man. However when he got angry he became unhinged. My first experience of this behaviour was was when he once turned up 5 minutes late for one of our lessons. Arriving at the classroom, instead of finding a group of diligent students reading quietly, patiently waiting for their teacher, he found an disorderly rabble, audiable from halfway down the corridor. Of course everything went quiet when he entered the room. He closed the door behind him and began to tell us calmly and quietly why it was not acceptable to make such a racket and that we should have been using the time more effectively. As he continued with the ticking off his voice became louder and louder until he was in a complete rage, bellowing at the top of his voice, his face bright red and his body shaking with fury. He was standing fairly close to me so I got the full effect complete with shock waves. It was very unsettling. The fact that he looked like a complete gentleman added to the impact and made the experience all the more disturbing. I witnessed this behaviour a few more times and it never lost its impact. Scary man.

Mr Baker was always very nice to me. He used to write in in immaculate style, his head, whilst writing, was never more than six inches from the paper. I met him on Midland 'Train Station a few times and he was a decent chap.

Archived