Which teacher used to scare you most ?

grinder

Not Sheffield sorry - but Mr Norton the swimming instructor at Rotherham Old Baths takes the biscuit. He is the reason that every child in rotherham, who went there in the fifties and sixties, can only swim breaststroke.

He was a tyrant at the best of times, but god help anyone he saw attempting "Australian Crawl". In order to get the right effect you have to curl up your top lip and spit/scream the words "Australian Crawl" with the most contempt you can muster.

We used to think an Australian soldier must have run off with his wife during the war!

Mr Ainsworth at Carfield Juniors. He stood in for Stan Vasey quite a few times. He was a stoney-faced disciplinarian who never smiled & always had a cane handy.

When I was at Brincliffe, I was slippered a couple of times by Mr Boul for not keeping my notes up to date, so I probably deserved it. The discipline at Brincliffe was strict but not excessive.

Agree about Pop Ainsworth, he was rather sadistic. Was Mr. Boule the science teacher at Brincliffe Grammar?

Not a school teacher, but swimming teacher at Sutherland road baths, Mr Scott.

He'd been imprisoned nowadays for his beheaviour to kids...lol. My wife's still scared of water thanks to him, saying that he got me swimming. Not a teacher, but a feared man across Sheffield in the 70's.

Curriechick, Mr Priest at Shiregreen was a bit nasty, but his softside was his love of poetry...get him chatting about that and he turned human again.

Most kids at High Storrs will probably mention 'Groz' or Mr Hayes. He had a fearful reputation, but I found him to genuinely be one of the nicest people ever....if you got him chatting about Cricket that is. The times he let me off detention, as long as I promised to play well in the next school cricket match...Sister Jocelyn scares me more. A Nun that rode a big motorbike and elongated her speeeeccchhh.

He'd been imprisoned nowadays for his beheaviour to kids...lol. My wife's still scared of water thanks to him, saying that he got me swimming. Not a teacher, but a feared man across Sheffield in the 70's.

Mr Scott has had a lot of adverse comment on SF, much of it unjustified. He must have taught thousands of Sheffield school children to swim. He got me swimming in 1959.

Anybody would think he used

method.

Agree about Pop Ainsworth, he was rather sadistic. Was Mr. Boule the science teacher at Brincliffe Grammar?

Yes, Mr Boul used to teach General Science, Physics & Chemistry, although he was not really qualified to teach Chemistry. At the beginning of the first 5th form Chemistry lesson he pointed to the "O"-level chemistry text book & said "We'll learn this together". Not very reassuring. I think Mr Boul left Brincliffe in 1963, as did I. Wasn't his place taken by a Mr McManus?

I am really pleased to name this teacher. MR BLACKWELL OF SHARROW LANE JUNIOR SCHOOL. I was there in the late 60s. If your work was not satisfactory he wrote See Me on your book. The children came out to the front and he smacked them all. I never went to the front he never noticed. one day I had a star on my work I did not trust him. He called all the children with stars to come to the front. I stayed in my seat. He smacked all the children. This Man should have never been aloud to teach children.

In the 1950,s at Prince Edwards on the Manor Top we had some of the most sadistic teachers known to man kind. [ senior school].

The most sadistic of the lot was Gratton. This man made my schooldays a misery.

I was once asked to take a note to him in class by another teacher, I knocked , he shouted come in! in a voice that meant to me what will happen today.

Anyway in I went and stood at the side of his desk shaking like a trapped mouse,

He looked at me and noticed the eye spy badge on my coat lapel.

Shouting like a nutcase he ripped the badge of my lapel stating eye spy you! you couldn,t spy an Elephant from a hundred yards he then stamped on my badge and gave me a couple of clips just to be going on with.

And then with all his class laughing there heads of he ripped the note out of my hand and told me to get out .

Another time he told me to stand up and read a passage from a book in the English lesson ,so i began !---- The workmen warmed there hands on the glowing brazier but me not being the brightest spark in the spelling of the English language pronounced the word [to great delight and uproar of class] as , you've guessed it brassiere.

Well he went crackers ,dragging me by the left ear to the front of class telling me to hold my hand out for two wacks of the cane as he explained in great detail and to much mirth that a brassiere was what a lady wore on her bosum and that a Workman's brazier was a glowing fire that kept your hands warm ,[not as warm as mine i might add].

There was many kids at school who did not get the treatment from Gratton but they always seemed to me anyway to be the better dressed ones or possibly the naturally clever sods but us less shall we say less bright ones used to suffer on a daily basis from him and other teachers at Prince Edwards on the Manor Top and to this day i blame them for a missed education that passed me by due to being freetened to death.

Archived