Passports for hire

There's no point keeping border staff and then tieing their hands behind their backs.

How about keeping the border staff and removing the red tape so we can remove the illegals more efficiently.

You could even create jobs in this area. Find a tech company in the UK that can build electronic ankle tags and start GPS tagging EVERY illegal found that isn't immediately removed.

The number of times I heard the narrator on the Border force programmes say phrases similar in wording to:

"So-and-so was released on bail & ordered to report. They have since absconded and not been since by authorities since"

Make the penalties for habouring illegals in the UK even harsher too.

i agree cutting foreign aid should be done . cutting benefits is a no no in my books thou its in place to prevent hardship if we fall on hard times .

I honestly don't understand why we send foreign aid to certain countries, especially the ones that have found the money to develop their own nuclear technologies.

I honestly don't understand why we send foreign aid to certain countries, especially the ones that have found the money to develop their own nuclear technologies.

Because the conditions of the aid are centred around our country's economic interest. If we don't give them aid they don't buy our goods.

How about keeping the border staff and removing the red tape so we can remove the illegals more efficiently.

I'm intrigued as to what this red tape is. As far as I know the main obstacles are cost of policing and the willingness of foreign countries to receive returned illegal immigrants.

Simplistic answers I know, but this is Sheffield Forum.

You could even create jobs in this area. Find a tech company in the UK that can build electronic ankle tags and start GPS tagging EVERY illegal found that isn't immediately removed.

How long would it take for that 'illegal' to remove the tag and throw it away? - You'd then have the additional cost of the tag.

The number of times I heard the narrator on the Border force programmes say phrases similar in wording to:

"So-and-so was released on bail & ordered to report. They have since absconded and not been since by authorities since"

Should that so and so have been given bail in the first place?

There are a number of immigration removal centres in the UK. (The nearest to Sheffield being Lindholme and Pennine House (at Manchester Airport)

When the government puts an illegal immigrant in such a centre, there is often an outcry from people protesting about 'Human Rights abuses' (Yet (AFAIK) there is no 'human right' which allows a person to enter a country illegally and to remain there without permission to stay.)

Make the penalties for habouring illegals in the UK even harsher too.

The penalties are already steep - but they don't seem to deter people.

The UKBA probably does its best, but given the number of people who have managed to enter the UK illegally - a number which is apparently unknown - it's obviously not that difficult to do so.

I've had one or more identity cards for the last 40-odd years. They are not heavy, nor are they difficult to carry. ID cards have their uses, but they have their limitations too and I doubt that (the lack of) an ID card would stop illegal immigration.

For most of the last 12 years or so, I've lived in countries in which I (like everybody else) have been required to register my presence with the local authorities. Should you (as a resident of the UK) travel to most foreign countries and stay in an hotel, guest house or rented accommodation, you will probably be required to show your passport and the person renting you the accommodation will probably have to pass your details on to a local or regional authority. If you've ever done that, was it an onerous task? Did you feel that it infringed your human (or any other) rights?

I've heard many people ask: "Why do illegal immigrants and asylum seekers target the UK?"

Simple. In the UK, once you're in, you're in. If you keep a low profile, nobody will even know you are there. If they do know you are there, they can't make you produce any proof that you have a right to be there.

In Germany, I was required to produce my certificate of registration to get a job, get a driving licence and presumably would have had to produce it

to register to get benefits.

The UK relies on one check at point of entry. Perhaps if people were required to register their address, it would be easier to control illegal immigration.

Because the conditions of the aid are centred around our country's economic interest. If we don't give them aid they don't buy our goods.

Simplistic answers I know, but this is Sheffield Forum.

have you any figures for the amount of foreign aid given out, compared to what these countries bought here ?

Archived