Car dealer D.C.Cook in the 60sand 70s

bullerboY

Did anyone buy a car or have dealings with these people in the 60s and 70s if so how did you find them,honest or not,did you get a good deal or were you ripped off.There seamed to be a lot of stories flying about then of untoward deals.:|

Ex coal miner Derek Cook was granted one of the very first Datsun agencies in the UK. He did very well, made a lot of money, lost a lot of friends, made a lot of enemies, prior to killing himself in his Rolls Royce whilst crashing in a tunnel in Monaco.

Did anyone buy a car or have dealings with these people in the 60s and 70s if so how did you find them,honest or not,did you get a good deal or were you ripped off.There seamed to be a lot of stories flying about then of untoward deals.:|
I went to view a car at Lane Top branch in the 80`s,a Micra.....however,the salesman wouldn`t or couldn`t give me a price unless I had a vehicle to trade in,so I left.

About a month or so later,Cook`s got taken to court for adding the trade in price back on,so you were getting NOTHING for your trade in AND paying full price.....

Draw your own conclusion from this.

I went to D C Cooks at Brinsworth entering the showroom at 15.00 with the intensions of buying a new car at 18.00 we were still talking they were offering a coloured tv if you purchased a car about 8 cups of coffee later we bought the car but when we enquired about the tele we were given a black and white one they said all the coloured ones had gone we got out of the place around 18.30 and I reckon if I had not said I was on nights I would have been there all night

Archived