Roots boosting: We are all born as atheists..

Surely it's entirely possible to not believe in god at the same time as believing there is no god, in fact inevitable.

Of course, that someone is not only an atheist but also antitheist. My post could be a bit clearer, I was saying " CAN not" in the same way Waldo meant it, not "cannot"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

Suggests to me, that athiesm, is more an active rejection of god, rather than not simply giving the matter any thought.

I would be inclined to clump 1 and 2 together; both being sub-categories of the greater category 'god-obsessed', while 3 has better things to be doing with his or her life.

Either way, I think we all probably agree, that as newborns, we don't give the matter of god, any thought what-so-ever.

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

Suggests to me, that athiesm, is more an active rejection of god, rather than not simply giving the matter any thought.

I would be inclined to clump 1 and 2 together; both being sub-categories of the greater category 'god-obsessed', while 3 has better things to be doing with his or her life.

Either way, I think we all probably agree, that as newborns, we don't give the matter of god, any thought what-so-ever.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism

atheism disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

Wiki can be edited and written by anyone, so it’s not always correct.

Well of course it says that to you, if you selectively quote it like that. The very next line goes on to say:

"Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists."

Did you really think you'd get away with that?

But you'd be wrong, I spend a fair bit of time arguing about religion and god, and I'm a number 3.

Also, there are plenty of number 1s and 2s who don't ever engage in these kinds of discussions.

Yes, that's exactly the point!

With regards, the definition and my linking wikipedia, I only read the first bit (honest guv), no malice or deception was inteneded. I'll accept your oxford dictionary definition, thank you Mr Smith.

I am wrong in which way Jimmy?

With regards, the definition and my linking wikipedia, I only read the first bit (honest guv), no malice or deception was inteneded.
Fair enough, I suppose.

I am wrong in which way Jimmy?

About 1s and 2s being obsessed with god, and about 3s not caring.

Had this earlier with a guy named Steve Jimeluluwabor. I was told he was made up and I suspect that you have done the same. If neither exist there is nothing to disbelieve.

I didn't ask if you disbelieve I asked if you believed it existed I assume from your answer that you don't.

You also have to remember the word God was also made up as was everything we are writing.

I have no idea if a Jimeluluwabor exist, I don’t even know what one is, just as I don’t know what a God is, but I lack the belief that both exist.

I didn't ask if you disbelieve I asked if you believed it existed I assume from your answer that you don't.

You also have to remember the word God was also made up as was everything we are writing.

I have no idea if a Jimeluluwabor exist, I don’t even know what one is, just as I don’t know what a God is, but I lack the belief that both exist.

I found no information leading me to believe that it existed therefore I assume it either doesn't or that it does but hasn't been found yet. Why do I either have to believe it does or doesn't?

I found no information leading me to believe that it existed therefore I assume it either doesn't or that it does but hasn't been found yet. Why do I either have to believe it does or doesn't?

You don't.

But you do lack the belief that it exists.

You don't.

But you do lack the belief that it exists.

No I don't. It's just not a consideration and until you brought them to my notice I was unaware of this particular species of Toad. I can no more guess at their existence than I can their non existence. If it's proven that they don't exist then so be it, belief will be of no consequence will it!

Archived