Roots boosting: We are all born as atheists..

I also uphold the fact that some dictionaries do give a more broader definition of 'atheism' and it is not JUST a lack of belief. They also add that it is a denial of God, or a doctrine that there is no god or gods.

That is not a "more broader" (sic) definition, it is a much much narrower one.

If you define atheism as 'a lack of belief in god/s' then it describes every single atheist I have ever met or heard of, including people who do positively believe that there is no god.

However if you define it your way it only describes a teeny tiny subsection of self-identifying atheists, I've only ever come across about 2 or 3 people like that.

Again, what makes you think there's any questioning involved in a belief simply NOT BEING THERE ?

This does!

quote RootsBooster: I really don't understand why SOME people go through their lives without questioning what they are taught and exploring the benefits of any alternative thinking, do you?

We just haven't got to source yet :hihi:

That is not a "more broader" (sic) definition, it is a much much narrower one.

If you define atheism as 'a lack of belief in god/s' then it describes every single atheist I have ever met or heard of, including people who do positively believe that there is no god.

However if you define it your way it only describes a teeny tiny subsection of self-identifying atheists, I've only ever come across about 2 or 3 people like that.

Then you need to branch out from Sheffield Central coz it's easy to be an atheist in a place that God has forsaken ;)

This does!

quote RootsBooster: I really don't understand why SOME people go through their lives without questioning what they are taught and exploring the benefits of any alternative thinking, do you?

We just haven't got to source yet :hihi:

Sorry Murph, I've re-read this post a whole bunch of times now and still can't make sense of it. Can you explain it for me?

Are you saying that your idea that you have to DECIDE to be an atheist actually has no basis/foundation?

Sorry Murph, I've re-read this post a whole bunch of times now and still can't make sense of it. Can you explain it for me?

Are you saying that your idea that you have to DECIDE to be an atheist actually has no basis/foundation?

No, originally I started out by with disagreeing that a baby is born an atheist because in my mind I see it that being one is a choice and not something which someone is simply because they cannot believe yet. It's clear we interpret things differently though.

I see it that until I can be shown that their is nothing to believe in with regard to God for instance that I am unable to refute his/her existence therefore I am not atheist as I also do not disbelieve.

No, originally I started out by with disagreeing that a baby is born an atheist because in my mind I see it that being one is a choice and not something which someone is simply because they cannot believe yet. It's clear we interpret things differently though.

I see it that until I can be shown that their is nothing to believe in with regard to God for instance that I am unable to refute his/her existence therefore I am not atheist as I also do not disbelieve.

You're still not getting it, I asked why you think an ABSENCE of belief (not DISBELIEF, two different things) requires thought.

...I see it that until I can be shown that their is nothing to believe in with regard to God for instance that I am unable to refute his/her existence therefore I am not atheist as I also do not disbelieve.

If you are saying you are undecided, wouldn't that mean you are still without belief in a god's existence? And wouldn't that mean you are an atheist.

That's EXACTLY what it is.

A baby is born without belief in God. Can you guess which word that translates exactly into? (it's atheist by the way)

By that criteria a monkey or ape is also an atheist as they also have no belief and as said so is a rock or tree.

Its just semantic trickery and as such I agree with all you say, end of..

Archived