Roots boosting: We are all born as atheists..

An absence of belief suggests that it was there to begin with in which case a decision has been made to change a way of thinking.

I'm looking outside my window right now and there is an absence of floating rocks in the sky. Does that mean there were some there to begin with?

I think what I said was that to be either a believer or non believer requires thought.

Right so according to you I have to go actively round thinking about and rejecting amongst other gods:

Resheph

Anath

Ashtoreth

El

Nergal

Nebo

Ninib

Melek Ahijah

Isis

Ptah

Anubis

Baal

Astarte

Hadad

Addu Shalem

Dagon

Sharrab

Yau

Amon-Re

Osiris

Sebek

Molech

Bilé

Ler

Arianrod

Morrigu

Govannon

Gunfled

Sokk-mimi

Memetona

Dagda

Robigus

Pluto

Ops

Meditrina

Vesta

Tilmun

Ogyrvan

Dea Dia

Ceros

Vaticanus

Edulia

Adeona

Iuno Lucina

Saturn

Furrina

Vediovis

Consus

Cronos

Enki

Engurra

Belus

Dimmer

Mu-ul-lil

Ubargisi

Ubilulu

Gasan lil

U-dimmer-an-kia

Enurestu

U-sab-sib Kerridwen

Pwyll

Tammuz

Venus

Bau

Mulu-hursang

Anu

Beltis

Nusku

U-Mersi

Beltu

Dumu-zi-abzu

Kuski-banda

Sin

Abil Addu

Apsu

Dagan

Elali

Isum

Mami

Nin-man

Zaraqu

Suqamunu

Zagaga

Gwydion

Manawyddan

Nuada Argetlam

Tagd

Goibniu

Odin

Llaw Gyffes

Lleu

Ogma

Mider

Rigantona

Marzin

Mars

Kaawanu Ni-zu

Sahi

Aa

Allatu

Jupiter

Cunina

Potina

Statilinus

Diana of Ephesus

Nin-azu

Lugal-Amarada

Zer-panitu

Merodach

U-ki

Dauke

Gasan-abzu

Elum

U-Tin-dir-ki

Marduk

Nin-lil-la

Nin

Persephone

Istar

Lagas

U-urugal

Sirtumu

Ea

Nirig

Nebo

Samas

Ma-banba-anna

En-Mersi

Amurru

Assur

Aku

Qarradu

Ura-gala

Ueras

In order to be an atheist?

I can't simply simply not have any belief in all the gods I've only heard mentioned in Mencken's Memorial Service. Gods whose names I can't remember, never mind any specifics about the supposed nature of all those gods.

What about ll the gods whose names and supposed qualities I have not only have never heard of but who are completely lost to history and as such nobody will ever be able to think about them ever again? How exactly does it "require thought" to have an absence of belief in all those lost gods?

plekhanov

My atheism stemmed from the fact that I realised that god (i.e. the one god in the Bible with the white beard who invented the 6 day week) couldn't possibly exist. At the time I hadn't heard of any other god (I was 10) and if I had I would have decided that as the Bible god couldn't possibly exist then neither could any other as all gods are figments of human imagination. You don't have to go down your list saying yay or nay to each to be an atheist. You just have to refuse to believe in the possible existence of any god. The possibility of a god is the issue, not the name, address and favourite football team.

Anyone who believes in one or more god - and therefore the possibility as well as the existence thereof - will be a believer. Anyone who consciously believes in none will be an atheist. Anyone else who hasn't thought or decided about the issue will be agnostic, not interested, a baby, whatever.

For me atheism is a set of beliefs, or at least one belief, and does not include a default to religious belief based on not even having considered the matter. But I believe that because of how I arrived at atheism. I made a decision. We may all get there differently but I just don't accept that anyone can be called an atheist when they haven't even thought about the issue.

Right so according to you I have to go actively round thinking about and rejecting amongst other gods:

Resheph

Anath

Ashtoreth

El

Nergal

Nebo

Ninib

Melek Ahijah

Isis

Ptah

Anubis

Baal

Astarte

Hadad

Addu Shalem

Dagon

Sharrab

Yau

Amon-Re

Osiris

Sebek

Molech

Bilé

Ler

Arianrod

Morrigu

Govannon

Gunfled

Sokk-mimi

Memetona

Dagda

Robigus

Pluto

Ops

Meditrina

Vesta

Tilmun

Ogyrvan

Dea Dia

Ceros

Vaticanus

Edulia

Adeona

Iuno Lucina

Saturn

Furrina

Vediovis

Consus

Cronos

Enki

Engurra

Belus

Dimmer

Mu-ul-lil

Ubargisi

Ubilulu

Gasan lil

U-dimmer-an-kia

Enurestu

U-sab-sib Kerridwen

Pwyll

Tammuz

Venus

Bau

Mulu-hursang

Anu

Beltis

Nusku

U-Mersi

Beltu

Dumu-zi-abzu

Kuski-banda

Sin

Abil Addu

Apsu

Dagan

Elali

Isum

Mami

Nin-man

Zaraqu

Suqamunu

Zagaga

Gwydion

Manawyddan

Nuada Argetlam

Tagd

Goibniu

Odin

Llaw Gyffes

Lleu

Ogma

Mider

Rigantona

Marzin

Mars

Kaawanu Ni-zu

Sahi

Aa

Allatu

Jupiter

Cunina

Potina

Statilinus

Diana of Ephesus

Nin-azu

Lugal-Amarada

Zer-panitu

Merodach

U-ki

Dauke

Gasan-abzu

Elum

U-Tin-dir-ki

Marduk

Nin-lil-la

Nin

Persephone

Istar

Lagas

U-urugal

Sirtumu

Ea

Nirig

Nebo

Samas

Ma-banba-anna

En-Mersi

Amurru

Assur

Aku

Qarradu

Ura-gala

Ueras

In order to be an atheist?

I can't simply simply not have any belief in all the gods I've only heard mentioned in Mencken's Memorial Service. Gods whose names I can't remember, never mind any specifics about the supposed nature of all those gods.

What about ll the gods whose names and supposed qualities I have not only have never heard of but who are completely lost to history and as such nobody will ever be able to think about them ever again? How exactly does it "require thought" to have an absence of belief in all those lost gods?

Bit of an extreme way to make a point don't you think and no. It's my translation of being an atheist, it's not what I expect anyone else to believe or follow. You all can do what you want.

plekhanov

My atheism stemmed from the fact that I realised that god (i.e. the one god in the Bible with the white beard who invented the 6 day week) couldn't possibly exist. At the time I hadn't heard of any other god (I was 10) and if I had I would have decided that as the Bible god couldn't possibly exist then neither could any other as all gods are figments of human imagination. You don't have to go down your list saying yay or nay to each to be an atheist. You just have to refuse to believe in the possible existence of any god. The possibility of a god is the issue, not the name, address and favourite football team.

Anyone who believes in one or more god - and therefore the possibility as well as the existence thereof - will be a believer. Anyone who consciously believes in none will be an atheist. Anyone else who hasn't thought or decided about the issue will be agnostic, not interested, a baby, whatever.

For me atheism is a set of beliefs, or at least one belief, and does not include a default to religious belief based on not even having considered the matter. But I believe that because of how I arrived at atheism. I made a decision. We may all get there differently but I just don't accept that anyone can be called an atheist when they haven't even thought about the issue.

I've tried that tack, apparently it's wrong.

plekhanov

That makes you not only an atheist but also an antitheist.

Where do you get this information/idea from? Agnostic doesn't mean you haven't thought about the issue!! If anything, agnostic is the one whic requires thought, rather than atheistic.

Ah, so when you say "for me atheism is....." you mean that you've decided this? It's not something you've learned from a source?

Also it looks like you're starting to change your tune, at the start of the thread you were convinced that atheism has a whole set of beliefs.

From the start of the thread, the description he has given about himself indicates that he is an atheist and an antitheist. He only claims to be an atheist though.

From what i read it may be that he is unaware that they are not the same or that he can be both.

Archived