Roots boosting: We are all born as atheists..

But it doesn't. Atheism exists as an opposite of belief in god. Without one the other would be needless. Since it's a description used to describe a non believer the baby cannot be described as an atheist as it is impossible for it to be either.

You're saying that post #27 is incorrect?

Atheism is a LACK of belief not an OPPOSITE.

... and what is your source for this definition of God?

I have yet to find an agreed definition for God, does a definition even exist for God that all those that believe in God agree with.

The definition appears to be open to interpretation by the individual, much the same as human emotions. Ask for a definition of love and i am sure you will get many different answers.

You're saying that post #27 is incorrect?

Atheism is a LACK of belief not an OPPOSITE.

No sir i'm not, what i'm saying is that without a peoples belief in God there would be no 'atheism' and since the child knows nothing of either it cannot be described as an atheist or for that matter a believer.

No sir i'm not, what i'm saying is that without a peoples belief in God there would be no 'atheism' and since the child knows nothing of either it cannot be described as an atheist or for that matter a believer.

That's exactly what I thought originally, but if you think about it it is wrong. Think of the words that begin with 'a' or 'an':

amoral- someone with no morals

abiotic- a substance with no life

anonymous- someone with no name

Therefore an atheist is someone without god- this can be attributed to babies or adults.

I never said it doesn't. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has "found God" without being primed with the concept first.

I have yet to find anyone with the Christian faith who wasn't;

a) indoctrinated into it as a child or

b) had a crisis and found a friend in jesus

It has also been proved that less intelligent people are more likely to believe in gods. In Sweden 80% of the polulation are atheists.

God has his opposite in the form of the Devil/Hell. We even get threatened with going to there if we denounce God. There has to be an opposite to enforce the other, a punishment, the good versus evil chit chat. Atheism is in direct conflict with belief it's the opposite of a believer. :)

God has his opposite in the form of the Devil/Hell. We even get threatened with going to there if we denounce God. There has to be an opposite to enforce the other, a punishment, the good versus evil chit chat. Atheism is in direct conflict with belief it's the opposite of a believer. :)

That would be an antitheist, not an atheist.

No sir i'm not, what i'm saying is that without a peoples belief in God there would be no 'atheism' and since the child knows nothing of either it cannot be described as an atheist or for that matter ba believer.

What you are describing in your posts is an antitheist, someone who not only has an absence of belief (an atheist) but actually rejects the idea of God (antitheist).

If you agree that post #27 is correct then any person, of any age, who does not HAVE a belief in God (whether there's a reason for it or not) is an atheist. It really is that simple.

That's exactly what I thought originally, but if you think about it it is wrong. Think of the words that begin with 'a' or 'an':

amoral- someone with no morals

abiotic- a substance with no life

anonymous- someone with no name

Therefore an atheist is someone without god- this can be attributed to babies or adults.

But the adult can be given a title because of their capacity to understand. He or she decides to either believe or not or to be in a state of uncertainty, the baby does not have the capacity to do this.

Archived