Roots boosting: We are all born as atheists..

So what’s the difference between you and a baby, neither of you understand or have any concept of a adfrithyremn and neither of you believe it exists.

I can look up 'adfrithyremn' (assuming it was something) and make a decision using logic and rationality.

A baby cannot.

Simple.

You're taking this thread off topic and on to a typical god thread- yes/no. We have had many of those. Feel free to re-start another.

I'm off to spend time with my kids now before their bedtime.

I can look up 'adfrithyremn' (assuming it was something) and make a decision using logic and rationality.

A baby cannot.

Simple.

You're taking this thread off topic and on to a typical god thread- yes/no. We have had many of those. Feel free to re-start another.

Ok is there a word that would describe a human that as no concept of a God.

A baby cannot.

Simple.

Actually it' bang on topic, he's got you to question what you are told and look for the source.

A baby cannot.

Simple.

The term atheism originated from the Greek (atheos), meaning "without god" A baby is without God so is therefore an atheist. Obviously this could change as the adults in the childes life convince it that a God does exist but until it is convinced it is without God.

[quote=RootsBooster;8448345

No, it's extremely simple and your second line makes perfect sense.

Yeah because it's your ideal. I still say you/others classify it as something because its believed it cannot be the other and because the description is available to use :D

It all seems to come down to how we define atheism. My definition of atheism would be based on a conscious rejection of religion whereas yours seems to include that and a lack of knowledge and understanding of religion. I would reject your quote above because you could label any baby a believer in anything because it doesn't believe in the opposite of that whatever. A baby exists without a belief in god only because s/he has no beliefs at all. I wouldn't pin any label on a baby with regard to beliefs.

Wikipedia's page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism mentions your idea and we can all debate which definition we prefer as individuals.

A rejection of theism is antitheism. A baby has no beliefs at all like you said, including gods. This second part is atheism.

Although Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, it does say that the most inclusive definition of the word is absence of belief. This is also the literal translation of the word, as shown in post #27

Yeah because it's your ideal. I still say you/others classify it as something because its believed it cannot be the other and because the description is available to use :D

Tricky one aint it :)

An absence of belief in something it's unaware of.

Okay try this;

An absence of belief in something BECAUSE it's unaware of it.

Now it makes even more sense.

A rejection of theism is antitheism. A baby has no beliefs at all like you said, including gods. This second part is atheism.

Although Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, it does say that the most inclusive definition of the word is absence of belief. This is also the literal translation of the word, as shown in post #27

But it could be said that the absence of belief comes only with the ability to believe or not. The definition of the word doesn't describe the thought involved in making a decision either way.

Archived