Independence for Scotland - Good or Bad?

I just hope that all the supporters of Scottish independence realise that if it happens, the English would be unlikely to see a Labour government again.

And the Scots would never again be ruled by Tories and have to be guinea pigs for such things as the poll tax.

Maybe it would see a partition like exodus of Scottish Tories moving South and people desperate to escape the Conservatives moving North.

The Scottish have never done very much on their own, look at what happened when they tried to set up an independant colony in the new world. Supposing they voted for independence and the Russians invaded, they'd soon want our help.

The Russians invaded? What decade are you living in? Your hostility to Scottish independence wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that as a Labour member you don't want to see the chances of another Labour government shafted, would it? Labour, Lib-Dems and Tories all support the Union. That's 3 reasons to hope the Scots vote for independence. Then the Welsh and then a united Ireland. Then England can get rid of its delusions of world power.

It's easy to hate people you don't know I guess. One thing the English are good at is believing themselves to be better than the rest.

Well, in fairness, which other nation built a huge empire and ammassed incredible wealth through the means of bankrolling and subsidising all the good for nothing, lazy and ungrateful races they conquered? It may seem that this isn't possible, but surely so many little Englanders can't all be wrong?

And the Scots would never again be ruled by Tories and have to be guinea pigs for such things as the poll tax.

Maybe it would see a partition like exodus of Scottish Tories moving South and people desperate to escape the Conservatives moving North.

What, and having to live amongst the Scots! From the opinions I'm reading it would be a fate worse than death for many English people. Perhaps just the 'little Englanders' though. ;)

Well, in fairness, which other nation built a huge empire and ammassed incredible wealth through the means of bankrolling and subsidising all the good for nothing, lazy and ungrateful races they conquered? It may seem that this isn't possible, but surely so many little Englanders can't all be wrong?

Is this sarcasm?

Yes I'm very proud of what we were :rolleyes: but now we aren't we just think that way.

I'm sure that the defenceless countries we steamrollered are grateful in their own way ;)

What, and having to live amongst the Scots! From the opinions I'm reading it would be a fate worse than death for many English people. Perhaps just the 'little Englanders' though. ;)

To be honest I've spent quite a while working/living in Scotland and while most Scottish people are OK there is a sizeable minority that are rabidly anti- English and make no bones in showing it... "Little Scotlanders"? :)

I hadn't thought of that. So not only would the Westminster Parliament get rid of 40 Labour MPs, 12 Lib/dem MPs, 6 SNP MPs and only one Tory, but the Tories might also gain seats at Westminster due to migration.

Along with the boundary commission changes that would certainly make some great changes to the English/Welsh/NI Parliament.

The Russians invaded? What decade are you living in? Your hostility to Scottish independence wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that as a Labour member you don't want to see the chances of another Labour government shafted, would it? Labour, Lib-Dems and Tories all support the Union. That's 3 reasons to hope the Scots vote for independence. Then the Welsh and then a united Ireland. Then England can get rid of its delusions of world power.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, you seem to be having a bad day

To be honest I've spent quite a while working/living in Scotland and while most Scottish people are OK there is a sizeable minority that are rabidly anti- English and make no bones in showing it... "Little Scotlanders"? :)

I don't disagree, I found more anti-English sentiment north of the border than I've ever found to be the case here against the Scots. My OH and his brother had a terrible time in the early 60s when they moved up there with their London accents!

However, before the (very expensive) Scottish parliament was invented, there was a feeling they were very much the poor relations to England. Most minorities feel oppressed don't they?

I would suggest there are more similarities between the North of England and Scotland than there are between the south and the north of England.

Archived