Independence for Scotland - Good or Bad?

I don't think the Scargillistas are going to like that. :hihi::hihi:
They won't at all, but without the Scottish Labour seats we'd have a huge Conservative majority, even in a bad year.

Like it or not (and I love it), the majority of England is Conservative.

I have lived in Scotland 5 years.Never had any problems,and very friendly people.However,the mood does change when England footy matches are shown in the pubs,then they show their true colours.

On independence,i have asked the question to many people,and i reckon it's a fair split between staying in the union,or going alone.

Mr Salmond does not like the English,and seems to avoid all the important questions that are put to him.Mr Salmond is deluded,and probably dreams of being some kind of emperor to an independant Scotland.

He wants Trident out(thousands of jobs would be lost)which would probably destroy their ship-building industry,as the Mod would probably have warships etc:built elsewhere.

Over 20% of the workforce are in the public sector.

Free prescriptions and uni places.

Council tax increases frozen for at least the last 3years.

Probably get a nice bill from parliament for bailing out their banks as well.

Salmond wants to flood the country with more immigrants(even though the young Scots cant get a job)

And if he joins the Euro,Scotland will be ruled from Brussells,so independance would have been a complete waste of time.

I've had the misfortunte of working with them, so have had the but of their english racism first hand!

Same here, I lived in Scotland for 15 years, went into hiding whenever Scotland played England, was passed over for promotion twice, ( I later found out that the boss was miffed about me admiring her brooch ) ..................... it was the snp badge :?

A fully independent Sctland would be great news for English politics - goodbye to Labour's election chances.

This is one major problem with this debate. You've got English right-wingers who want to spite ideologically unpure Scotland and ensure a permanent Tory majority as a result.

And on the other hand you've got Scots who want to break away from English Tories to ensure a permanent left wing / anto Conservative government north of the border.

Both camps pursuing essentially spiteful and partisan goals, ignoring the common good in the process.

A fully independent Sctland would be great news for English politics - goodbye to Labour's election chances.

So is Mr Cameron being disingenuous when he says he wants Scotland to remain in the union?

Is he really trying to make the Scots more inclined to be pro independence by interfering in the referendum process?

So is Mr Cameron being disingenuous when he says he wants Scotland to remain in the union?

Is he really trying to make the Scots more inclined to be pro independence by interfering in the referendum process?

Very unlikely; the Conservatives have always been, and still are, the strongest supporters of the Union.

But the number of Labour MPs returned to Westminster by Scottish constituencies must surely make them think twice.

I dont think that's anything to worry about. Merge two constituencies here, move a line there and Cameron wants to reduce the number of mps anyway.

And besides, if little ed is still in charge he's not going to have many sleepless nights.

And an earlier poster was right, we've more in common with Scotland than the south east on the whole.

Archived