Insurance Claim..is this normal?

I had my house broken into begining of Nov 2011 so i made a claim, like anyone would. Eventually they sent out a representative to my house to take a note of stolen items etc.

Now 4 weeks later they've rang to tell me there sending another person to do exactly the same thing.

Ive already had to take time off work for the first interview and now have to again.

Is this unusual?

I had my house broken into begining of Nov 2011 so i made a claim, like anyone would. Eventually they sent out a representative to my house to take a note of stolen items etc.

Now 4 weeks later they've rang to tell me there sending another person to do exactly the same thing.

Ive already had to take time off work for the first interview and now have to again.

Is this unusual?

I was burgled last April, it took until June/July for Saga to pay out. After several visits from assessors, emails, phone calls and disputes on the value of articles it was finally sorted, but I'm still out of pocket to the tune of around £800 after this episode. Saga are an absolute nightmare to deal with and just wait until you try and get insurance when its due for renewal, its highly likely that the only person who will insure you are your current insurers. The whole business of Insurance stinks and wants a big shake up with the regulatory bodies.

Conclusion ... my biggest mistake was being honest about everything ... whats that tell you ... never again!

I recently submitted a claim on my Tesco Pet Plan, it was declined out of hand, the vet wrote to them and they then admitted that it was a legitimate claim.

The problem is that many claims are contrived at worst, or falsely loaded at best. However I sometimes wonder how underwriters make decisions, we had a bathroom water leak that brought part of the kitchen ceiling down and did cosmetic damage to the kitchen and dining room walls. We costed the repairs and decor at £600, the insurer insisted that we used a company called ROK, they did a great job and charged £1600. :loopy:

Is this unusual?

Possibly the same scrote that did mine beginning of November.

My insurance asked for proof of purchase for everything missing or photographs if I didn't have receipts.

I sent a strongly worded letter explaining I didn't keep receipts for years on end, and could only find photographs of two of the items.

They paid out within a month of the break in., although they now say they won't re-insure unless I have a burglar alarm fitted that complies to some (expensive to install) regulation.

Now moved house. Insured elsewhere. AND alarm fitted.

I Was refused insurance claim (7k damage or therabouts) because insurance company ruled that this amounts to wear and tear.

This is landlord insurance and the tenant creating the 7k damage, occupied the damaged property for 14 months before being re housed by Sheffield Homes.

Therefore according to the insurance company the wear and tear rate exceeds the rental income of £500 per month. Obviously on that logic there would be no private lets.

Obviously it is not accepted that normal wear and tear occurs at these rates and as there has been no reply from the insurance company or its under writers since pointing out the absurdity of the reasons given for repudiating the claim for damage.

The case is before their regulatory body which claims to be independent.

If the case is not resolved more sensibly with obudsman intervention then i will name them incase any other poor sod is considering insurance with them and perhaps you should do the same if you dont get a fair outcome.

Therefore according to the insurance company the wear and tear rate exceeds the rental income of £500 per month. Obviously on that logic there would be no private lets.

Obviously it is not accepted that normal wear and tear occurs at these rates and as there has been no reply from the insurance company or its under writers since pointing out the absurdity of the reasons given for repudiating the claim for damage.

As to quantum, I agree. However, remember that insurers' first line of defence is to deny liability in the hope of deterring all but the most determined claimants with undeniable evidence of insured loss.

As to quantum, I agree. However, remember that insurers' first line of defence is to deny liability in the hope of deterring all but the most determined claimants with undeniable evidence of insured loss.

I disagree, a professionally submitted claim by an insurance broker stands far more chance of success than a cobbled together amateur one. Just remember not to answer questions that haven't been asked, I recall a guy who's chimney stack fell onto a woman's car (fortunately she wasn't in it). The insurer asked what condition the stack was in, the guy answered that it was in absolutely perfect condition. The insurer then asked for evidence of this, which of course wasn't there. He should have said "I am not in the building trade, it looked fine from ground level, nothing had previously fallen from it, sorry but that is all I can say, not being a professional".

If someone has a raving lunatic as a tenant I don't see where 'wear and tear' clause comes into play, if it does I will put in a claim the next time our son comes to house sit, and does his usual couple of hundred quid's worth of damage. :gag:

They want recepits and photos of stolen items from me too but the laptop was stolen with most of my pics on it and i too dont keep empty boxes or receipts.

I do keep receipts along with guarantees, they take up very little space, and is common sense. As for photos, if I supply them with receipts they can obtain their own photos.

Archived