What's the nicest bottle of Vintage Port I can get for about £20?

My Dad loves port but I know nothing about it!

If I ask him then he'll know that I'm getting him some :suspect:

Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Anywhere in Sheffield selling nice port at a good price?

I don't think you can buy Vintage Port for £20.

This one has good reviews but is out of stock :(

http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/category-is-Fortified+Wines/category-is-Port/product-is-16240

They've got this one but from the price I'm guessing it's not great http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/category-is-Fortified+Wines/category-is-Port/product-is-16241

Anyone know of any other good wine shops in Sheffield?

The most sensible thing that I can suggest is to get a good idea about the sort of port that your dad likes the most (for instance, I think that ruby port is nice, but I'd much prefer tawny and I would never drink either again if that guaranteed me a supply of really good white port) and work from there.

Once you know whether he likes his port syruppy, or tannic, or mellow then you can start looking at the individual characteristics of what you're buying rather than the year that it was made. A mediocre year with just the right characteristics (which will cost you less) could be much better than a great year that's too dark, or intense or whatever.

Then I'd suggest going to a wine merchants who may have a selection for you to choose from. Although supermarkets can do great deals, they also have to buy in such large quantities that they can't buy anything that's not got a huge supply.

I'm partial to a nip of Port, but never bother looking at the labels as to how expensive they might be. £6 a bottle is fine for me. Suppose if you don't drink it all, it will be good to put on fish and chips.

Angel.

Yep I get what you mean, but it's not really a 'present' if I just go down Tesco's & buy whatever he usually has ;)

The most sensible thing that I can suggest is to get a good idea about the sort of port that your dad likes the most (for instance, I think that ruby port is nice, but I'd much prefer tawny and I would never drink either again if that guaranteed me a supply of really good white port) and work from there.

Once you know whether he likes his port syruppy, or tannic, or mellow then you can start looking at the individual characteristics of what you're buying rather than the year that it was made. A mediocre year with just the right characteristics (which will cost you less) could be much better than a great year that's too dark, or intense or whatever.

Then I'd suggest going to a wine merchants who may have a selection for you to choose from. Although supermarkets can do great deals, they also have to buy in such large quantities that they can't buy anything that's not got a huge supply.

Ooh this is more complicated than I thought... I think I'd better phone Mum :hihi:

Archived