Camara Van speed traps

I know it's been discussed many times, and I have mixed feelings. In one way I hate tailgater's and really fast speeders, but I can't stop feeling annoyed when I see these camera vans. Maybe it's just me but I will be worrying for days now even though I wasn't speeding.It was bad enough when it was the police hiding behind bushes with speed guns.... but these guys in vans, I just don't trust them !

I'm not even going to say where they are to avoid being accused of interfering. But they are sat in the middle of a row of parked cars so you can't see them, 8.30pm, on a wide road that was always 40mph until recently, when it became 30mph, I never saw any publicity about the change, and I don't think most people realise it is now 30mph. It is very difficult to drive under 30mph on roads like this.

Who are they going to catch on a Monday night ? A few people going to do a bit of shopping ?

I know it's been discussed many times, and I have mixed feelings. In one way I hate tailgater's and really fast speeders, but I can't stop feeling annoyed when I see these camera vans. Maybe it's just me but I will be worrying for days now even though I wasn't speeding.It was bad enough when it was the police hiding behind bushes with speed guns.... but these guys in vans, I just don't trust them !

I'm not even going to say where they are to avoid being accused of interfering. But they are sat in the middle of a row of parked cars so you can't see them, 8.30pm, on a wide road that was always 40mph until recently, when it became 30mph, I never saw any publicity about the change, and I don't think most people realise it is now 30mph. It is very difficult to drive under 30mph on roads like this.

Who are they going to catch on a Monday night ? A few people going to do a bit of shopping ?

Try 3rd gear?

This week they will be at the following places:

Sheffield A61 Chesterfield Road / Chesterfield Road South, Sheffield

Sheffield A61 Halifax Road, Sheffield

Sheffield A6101 Rivelin Valley Road, Sheffield

Sheffield A6102 Manchester Road / Langsett Road, Hillsborough / Deepcar, Sheffield

Sheffield A6135 Ecclesfield Road / Chapeltown Road, Ecclesfield / Chapeltown, Sheffield

Sheffield B6200 Handsworth Road / Retford Road, Sheffield

Sheffield Harborough Avenue, Sheffield

Sheffield Shirecliffe Road / Cookswood Road, Sheffield

Sheffield Wordsworth Avenue, Sheffield

Its all about making our roads safer. Its nothing to do with raising money at all. No, its not, not at all, its all about safety I tell you.

If it was really about safety, they wouldn't publicise where they were going to be; that way, people would have to stay inside the speed limits everywhere or risk being fined. As it is now, people can break the law with impunity as long as they check first where the cameras are and make sure that they break the law in other places.

Its about a balance between safety and income, thats a simple fact, if we never speed then the government would lose millions in fines, which woud need to be claimed elsewhere.

if we do speed, then accidents happen and that costs money and lives. i dont believe there would ever be a balance where the drivers and authorities would be happy with each other.

The government has to raise revenue and catching speeders is an easy target, lets face it, if in these hard times you can afford to run a car, then a fixed penalty is not a HUGE crisis, and 3 points on a clean licence is hardly going to rocket your insurance, but its still xxx ££ in the kitty.

The days where the copper hid in the bushes are not seen these days is because these vans are so tecnically equipped, with anpr etc , they do not need to be operated by police officers, they are operated by civilian staff on much lower wages than a police officer, leaving officers to do other duties.

I have been driving for over 25 years, and never had a conviction, i may have been lucky, but i do drive sensibly, but occasionally i do speed, just not to excess, maybe one day one of these cameres will get me, just a shame there wont be a reasonable copper to give me just a ticking off.

Archived