Camara Van speed traps

They should be High Profile, parked where they can be seen, not hiding behind another van [Halifax Rd]. People see them and slow down. The electronic speed smilers you see on poles are more effective. 30 mph or less = :) Over 30 mph =:mad: Far more effective. I hate to see people sacked but these van guys should be the first to go. Safety promotion, fine, but devious, back door taxation is crap.

They should be High Profile, parked where they can be seen, not hiding behind another van [Halifax Rd]. People see them and slow down. The electronic speed smilers you see on poles are more effective. 30 mph or less = :) Over 30 mph =:mad: Far more effective. I hate to see people sacked but these van guys should be the first to go. Safety promotion, fine, but devious, back door taxation is crap.

I almost agree, but they cant hide behind another van, as the cameras would not have a line of sight, its just they catch you unaware , when your in a hurry and you think oh dear i did not anticipate that camera van being there.its crap i know its just a income earner for the government. If we all stopped speeding 2moro, how much More would car tax go up!!

If its about road safety, why aren't they more often at blackspots?

I actually asked one of the coppers in the van on Chesterfield Road how many accidents there had been there, and when was the last one. He said he had no idea. I've lived near there for ten years and have never seen a single one.

I often wonder how many people would be late for work and the cost to the economy if everyone adhered to the speed limit?

do you? That's an unusual recurring thought. Have you thought of discussing it with anyone in the medical profession? It's probably harmless but it could be a sign of a more troubled mind that is crying out for help?

Its about a balance between safety and income, thats a simple fact, if we never speed then the government would lose millions in fines, which woud need to be claimed elsewhere.

if we do speed, then accidents happen and that costs money and lives. i dont believe there would ever be a balance where the drivers and authorities would be happy with each other.

The government has to raise revenue and catching speeders is an easy target, lets face it, if in these hard times you can afford to run a car, then a fixed penalty is not a HUGE crisis, and 3 points on a clean licence is hardly going to rocket your insurance, but its still xxx ££ in the kitty.

The days where the copper hid in the bushes are not seen these days is because these vans are so tecnically equipped, with anpr etc , they do not need to be operated by police officers, they are operated by civilian staff on much lower wages than a police officer, leaving officers to do other duties.

I have been driving for over 25 years, and never had a conviction, i may have been lucky, but i do drive sensibly, but occasionally i do speed, just not to excess, maybe one day one of these cameres will get me, just a shame there wont be a reasonable copper to give me just a ticking off.

Bob, I think you have been extremely lucky not to have picked up a conviction in 25 years of driving. I'd be interested to know how many miles a year you drive?

When you say you do speed but don't drive to excess - I'm afraid that doesn't make sense - because if you "exceed" the speed limit, even by 1 mph, you are driving to "excess". Of course, it's unlikely you'll get punished for that - although some have been convicted for 3 or 4 mph over the limit.

I think the chances of you getting caught for speeding have actually fallen in the past couple of years as many local authorities have switched off the static speed cameras or taken them down altogether. Which kind of suggests to me that they weren't about safety after all in many cases. They were about entrapment. Something that is illegal in the US incidentally, but not here.

I wish you good luck in avoiding any future convictions. I was going to say it's bound to happen to you one day, but maybe you'll be lucky and it won't.

I often wonder how many people would be late for work and the cost to the economy if everyone adhered to the speed limit?

Try driving your normal route into work at 35 for a week or two.

Then do it at 30 for the same period.

Time each run and see, with all the junctions, lights, roundabouts how much difference there is between 35 and 30.

Many studies conclude that in busy urban areas progress is largely governed by traffic and junctions and less so by whether a driver chooses 30 or 35.

You will have been passed by the "hare" and caught him up as the "tortoise" at the next set of lights, no doubt, so your musings about the economy suffering as a result of people keeping to the limits don't hold a lot of water.

They should be High Profile, parked where they can be seen, not hiding behind another van [Halifax Rd]. People see them and slow down.

People already have an instruction to slow down; it's called a speed limit sign. The camera's responsibility is to punish those who ignore legal instructions.

Archived