Fiat punto brake issue

Just after a bit of advice.

When braking at speed on the parkway yesterday it felt as though the back brakes done nothing at all and all the braking force was on the front discs (It felt as though the car was about to do a

)

Any idea what would cause this?

It's a '99 (T) Fiat punto 1.2.

Thanks

It may not be a brake problem looking at the age of your car ,could be weak shockers or poorly inflated tyres check these first ,give the car a good rock (thats pushing it from side to side not exposing it to load music) and see if it settles quickly and check for leaks on the shockabsorbers. If you still suspect the brakes there is on some models a brake compensator valve connected to the back axle these do corrode and fail causing a brake inbalance or could just be ready for some new linings.

They are cheap little cars nothing is to costly to do on them cars any mechanic worth his salt should be able to sort it out with out any problems take it to a garage or to some one who has been recommended sounds like the brake shoes or pads need renewing,just before you do though check your tyre pressures you never know that can make the car feel a bit funny when braking.

ide say brake shoes tom as you said , but if you listen then you shud hear some grinding noise and if its brake shoes your handbrake wont work , do you agree tom m8

Aaaahhhh, now you mention it, this makes a lot of sense, when I got the car back in Oct the handbrake was useless despite being told that a new handbrake cable had been fitted, so I tore out the centre column and adjusted the tensioner right up as far as it went and although it sorted it to the point it would hold the car on a slight hill, it wouldn't do it's job on the likes of netherthorpe rd etc and handbrake turns are definately out of the question.

Are these a reasonably easy job to DIY, also there is a slight grind when at low speed and I put this down to the front brakes, not sure if it is the front though or now you mention it, could be the back.

ide say brake shoes tom as you said , but if you listen then you shud hear some grinding noise and if its brake shoes your handbrake wont work , do you agree tom m8

If the shoes are worn down to the rivets and they rub on the drums they will make a load grinding noise true,some times the back brake shoes ware down and the inefficiency of the back brakes drop a bit also brake drums are more prone to suffer from heat expatiation especially during hard braking,disc brakes that are usually on the front wheels don't suffer with heat expatiation problems as much so that would probably be the reason for the pull on the front brakes,you can't tell really till you strip the bakes down and have a look, like I said though they are no problems to work on and are really cheap little cars so nothing to worry about don't take any chances though its a safety thing when it comes to brakes.

ive just fitted new pads and shoes in my partners sons car and its a y reg punto , cost wos 22 quid for parts and it took a hour becouse i did it free . FAMILY , but if you go to a garage i bet its over 100 quid

Yes I know the feeling I end up doing all my family's cars for nowt brakes on the punto usually take a couple of hours at the most parts are less than £30 so I would probably charge about £70 or so I did have one of them cars come to me once and 2 of the wheel cylinder seals were leaking and the nuts would not come out of the cylinders to change them I ended up having a right job getting them out.

Archived