Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

I have. 4 years to be precise (reasonably recently too).

So have a little bit of authority behind my earlier assertion: many a football, rugby and other team/non-team match/sporting event watched in many a (non-touristy) pub, where the locals were clearly (and at times loudly) siding with England, in preference to the other, generally non-English-speaking/non-Commonwealth country ;)

Once seen a group of Irish lads driving another group of Welsh lads out of the pub, over their (overly loud and most family unfriendly) jibes against England in an England v Italy rugby match. How refreshing that was.

Well that is nice to hear. Perhaps it is because they have had their independence for the last 90 years and feel comfortable about it, although I do know of a couple who were refused Canadian citizenship because they refused to swear an oath of allegiance then included the Queen in the wording.

FWIW, my wife is English. I have no anti-English feelings and find it quite sad that there are Scottish people who do.

My only objection is the crap spouted by the Daily Mail that "Englansg subsidises the scrounging Scots etc, etc" and it is then repeated on here, despite the fact that virtually no-one outside of London can possibly claim that. Additonally, I earn a wee bit more than your average Londoner and have claimed next to nothing from the state (apart from 3 brief visits to the doctors in over 30 years as an adult) so have never been subsidised by the English taxpayer.

BTW, before anyone asks the question of whether or not I will be supporting England in this year's Euro Championships.......no I won't. If Scotland were playing then I would support them but as they're not then I won't be supporting anyone. Why should I? I'm Scottish and nothing else. If I had to list a preference then it would be Holland (always liked them from the Cruyff era), Spain (spend a lot of time there and they play fantastic football) then England (SWMBO is English so have no choice to encourage "ingurlaand" :))

And I think you'll find that there's quite a bit of water around England, Ireland and Wales. :) The Clyde is handy for getting to deep water quickly but I wouldn't imagine that you'll be keeping the submarines for yourself.

As an aside, when you were in the armed forces, who did you swear your allegiance to?

The Queen. Not the government and not the UK.

Why?

As for the water around England, Ireland (I presume you mean NI) and Wales, I think you will find that there will be a struggle to find anywhere suitable.

If you know anywhere suitable then let Dave Cameron know about it.

Why?

As for the water around England, Ireland (I presume you mean NI) and Wales, I think you will find that there will be a struggle to find anywhere suitable.

There are many suitable places along the English coast.

Why?

The yanks are happy enough to keep theirs in a swamp so somewhere on the east anglia/norfolk coast might fit the bill. Highish unemployment and low population density, jobs a good one.