1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

The Queen

Well there you go. QED.

Why?
Because you need to think these things through. Is the Scottish plan to declare Alex Salmond as President? Imagine that. :love:

Do independently minded Scots have the stomach for that or haven't they thought that bit through?

It seems to irk some Scots that the English are quite happy to see you go if you really want to go. Just don't come crying to mummy if it all goes horribly wrong.

What foreign entity would want to invade Scotland and if so for what reason?

Iron Bru ;):D

Considering Scotland has made a contribution to the Navy and RAF, they would be entitled to a pro-rata share of any assets.

Not necessarily. The MoD is Whitehall based, so why would they want to give the Scottish lots of assets. They might sell Scotland a few secondhand, obsolete items though.

Oh dear, yet another ill-informed person. I have spent time in the Armed Forces and at that time (unless I was totally mistaken), they were the British Armed Forces rather than the English Armed Forces. In fact, during GW1, it was estimated that 35% of the deployed forces personnel were Scottish.

One other thing for you to ponder is this: when you remove "your" forces, where the f*** do you think you will base the submarine force and their associated weapons. I think you'll find that where they are based (Scotland) is currently the only suitable location.

I'm sure Plymouth is rubbing it's hands with the opportunity of Scottish independence.

HMS Drake is already home to the Trafalgar class nuclear submarines and the Dockyard has built facilities to refit the Vanguard class that are currently stationed in Scotland so they will be more than at home there.

I am also sure that they will also be happy to station any other RN ships that are based in Scotland and also take on any refitting work that Rosyth carries out. Also does this mean that the contract for the construction of the UK's aircraft carriers will be moved to ship yards that will with a degree of certainty be in the UK when their construction is finished.

The UK's shipyards and dockyards could do with the work, and it'll be wrong to send the work abroad.

Well there you go. QED.

Because you need to think these things through. Is the Scottish plan to declare Alex Salmond as President? Imagine that. :love:

Do independently minded Scots have the stomach for that or haven't they thought that bit through?

It seems to irk some Scots that the English are quite happy to see you go if you really want to go. Just don't come crying to mummy if it all goes horribly wrong.

You need to do some research on what the SNP are proposing.

I'm sure Plymouth is rubbing it's hands with the opportunity of Scottish independence.

HMS Drake is already home to the Trafalgar class nuclear submarines and the Dockyard has built facilities to refit the Vanguard class that are currently stationed in Scotland so they will be more than at home there.

I am also sure that they will also be happy to station any other RN ships that are based in Scotland and also take on any refitting work that Rosyth carries out. Also does this mean that the contract for the construction of the UK's aircraft carriers will be moved to ship yards that will with a degree of certainty be in the UK when their construction is finished.

The UK's shipyards and dockyards could do with the work, and it'll be wrong to send the work abroad.

The UK won't even have to let Scotland tender under EU regulations since Scotland won't be in the EU.

You need to do some research on what the SNP are proposing.

I've read all about The Arc Of Prosperity: Ireland, Iceland, Scotland...

But like I said, the English seem quite ambivalent towards Scotland if you really want to chance it on your own. It seems that we don't really care much if we lose you.

They were built in the 1990's, whilst closing the facilities at Rosyth, whilst Major was MP. And you wonder why the independence movement gained momentum? Re-fitting and basing aren't the same thing. There is nowhere else in the UK that is capable of providing a home for the submarines AND their warhead stockpile.

Also please stop talking about the UK after separation (if it happens) as there will be no "UK". The "UK" came about because of the union of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland.

The UK won't even have to let Scotland tender under EU regulations since Scotland won't be in the EU.

I've read all about The Arc Of Prosperity: Ireland, Iceland, Scotland...

But like I said, the English seem quite ambivalent towards Scotland if you really want to chance it on your own. It seems that we don't really care much if we lose you.

As much right as England. Don't be so sure of your own place as I'm sure the French would love to see you out on your butts and this could be their excuse to push for it.