Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

FWIW, my wife is English. I have no anti-English feelings and find it quite sad that there are Scottish people who do.
Exact same situation here.

However, I do find your anti-Yorkshire/anti-Union (anti-English, really, even if you won't admit it) entirely incompatible with the rest of your posts, in particular your claim that your

...only objection is the crap spouted by the Daily Mail that "Englansg subsidises the scrounging Scots etc, etc" and it is then repeated on here, despite the fact that virtually no-one outside of London can possibly claim that.
Sorry, but on the basis of your numerous other posts in this thread (particularly the first two), that's BS any day of the week.

Additonally, I earn a wee bit more than your average Londoner and have claimed next to nothing from the state (apart from 3 brief visits to the doctors in over 30 years as an adult) so have never been subsidised by the English taxpayer.
Again, exact same situation here.

But then, so what? That doesn't entitle you (or any other Welsh, English, Northern Irish, Polish, French, Zimbabwean, etc. in the same situation) to anything anyway.

Anywhere in a union of 'kingdoms', a federation of 'länder', a nation of 'régions', etc. you will have wealthy types, poor types, and every variation in between.

Scotland had better hope they have enough of the first type to maintain standards for all, once its own taxation and redistribution levels kick in. I have my doubts, but (as previously said, unequivocally and non-partisan) the very best of luck.

Edited by L00b

I've never understood the Scottish call for independence.

There isn't any repression or withholding of their freedoms, within the UK they are allowed to show as much of their national identity as they want to.

They are allowed to follow their own customs, vote for whoever they want to, they are allowed to climb to the highest posts in the land to shape the whole of the UKs future, so their isn't any lack of opportunity.

I've always thought that the UK is very multicultural and this is one of it's main strengths, and the Scottish cultures sat at home very well within the UK making us all richer.

Is it a case that the Scots aren't so comfortable being part of a multicultural society?

BTW, no need to start throwing insults around you thick, fat pigeon molester.

I do not molest pigeons, fat or otherwise.

I had to stop when the neighbours complained about the noise.

What foreign entity would want to invade Scotland and if so for what reason?

The Romans?

I wonder what would happen to English military bases in Scotland if they did bugger off out of the UK.

Same goes for all English investment in that cold little mess of a country.

A daft, left wing government may well put investors off the place and the RBS can forget any more bail outs.

The Romans?

I wonder what would happen to English military bases in Scotland if they did bugger off out of the UK.

Same goes for all English investment in that cold little mess of a country.

A daft, left wing government may well put investors off the place and the RBS can forget any more bail outs.

It stated on the news tonight that an independent Scotland would not want nuclear weapons in the country. That's the navy sorted... I am sure the many people employed on the Clyde won't be too bothered about losing their jobs.

With Scotlands health problems, they will need every drop of North Sea oil they can get their hands on.

They have the highest rate of MS in the world, and liver disease, alcoholism, cancer and heart disease are the highest in Europe, plus one in four Scots are officially obese.

I hope the Scots succeed in getting independence, it would be a massive relief to the NHS, and, the English.

With Scotlands health problems, they will need every drop of North Sea oil they can get their hands on.

They have the highest rate of MS in the world, and liver disease, alcoholism, cancer and heart disease are the highest in Europe, plus one in four Scots are officially obese.

I hope the Scots succeed in getting independence, it would be a massive relief to the NHS, and, the English.