Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

Just as a matter of interest who would be expected to pay the pensions of scots.

Infact with all the current interest in credit ratings how would an independant scotland fare?

No credit history and a massive debt. That wouldn't be good.

Edited by purdy

Just as a matter of interest who would be expected to pay the pensions of scots.

Infact with all the current interest in credit ratings how would an independant scotland fare?

Interesting interview with Alistair Darling the Guardian / Observer about the huge economic uncertainty for the Scots if the go it "alone".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/14/scottish-independence-alistair-darling

Basically - stay in sterling and London controls your interest rates.

Join the Euro and Frankfurt controls your interest rates.

Set up the McPound with no idea how the international exchange rates will value it (IMHO not very highly).

Interesting interview with Alistair Darling the Guardian / Observer about the huge economic uncertainty for the Scots if the go it "alone".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/14/scottish-independence-alistair-darling

Basically - stay in sterling and London controls your interest rates.

Join the Euro and Frankfurt controls your interest rates.

Set up the McPound with no idea how the international exchange rates will value it (IMHO not very highly).

I saw him on TV this morning talking about it and Alex Salmond didn't have a clue.

He appeared to think he could keep the pound but run the Scottish monetary system independent of the rest of the UK. :D

A credit history should be no problem. Scotland has a long established banking industry that....

... oh hang on

Alex Salmond seems to think his independent Scotland can use the pound, he says the bank of England belongs to the Scottish just as much as it belongs to the rest of UK, he couldn’t quite grasp the fact that if Scotland used the pound the rest of the UK would dictate Scottish monetary policy.:D

Surely if Scotland leave the UK then the Bank of England wont belong to Scotland, it belongs to the UK. Scotland would lose any influence over monetary policy if they kept using UK pounds.

Surely if Scotland leave the UK then the Bank of England wont belong to Scotland, it belongs to the UK. Scotland would lose any influence over monetary policy if they kept using UK pounds.

If an "independent" Scotland had the Pound the bank of England would be setting their interest rates.

For Scotland to seperate from the UK and be independent it has two choices as far as currency goes, join the Euro or create their own currency, the Mcnugget or something like that.

If an "independent" Scotland had the Pound the bank of England would be setting their interest rates.

For Scotland to seperate from the UK and be independent it has two choices as far as currency goes, join the Euro or create their own currency, the Mcnugget or something like that.

They have a Bank of Scotland and they have Bank of Scotland notes, they could try creating their own independent monetary system, they would just need to sort out the exchange rate.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes_current_bank_of_scotland.php

They have a Bank of Scotland and they have Bank of Scotland notes, they could try creating their own independent monetary system, they would just need to sort out the exchange rate.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes_current_bank_of_scotland.php

I don't think they sort out the exchange rates. The rest of the world sort out the exchange rates.

ie...

I'm not taking that crap jock.

To then go on to take England/London perhaps? I wouldnt put it past Alex Salmond to wave the Russians through. Maybe thats what this is really all about :suspect:

The Scots are just like the Quebec separatists in Canada. When the time comes for the referendum they'll back off just like the Quebeccers did.

Alex Salmond might see himself as a Scottish nationalist but to me he's just a petty minded little "Regionalist" and a windbag to boot.

Maybe he looks in his mirror every morning and sees himself as President Salmond

No credit history and a massive debt. That wouldn't be good.[/QUOTe]

The Scots. And if there was any justice in the world they would have their own National Debt. The one that the Scottish one-eyed trouser snake bought for them