Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

It's amazing how the politicians are running round like headless chickens now they think there's actually a real chance that Scotland might vote for a split.

And there we have it people - how to make politicians sit up and take notice.

I find it quite embarrassing how they're now offering all sorts of sweeteners to encourage people not to vote yes, now they know it's a real possibility independence could happen.

If I was a Scot who had decided to vote yes, I'd be wondering why these offers of additional powers are only being offered now. I'd see it as nothing more than a bribe and it would harden my resolve to vote yes.

For what it's worth I hope the no campaign win, but I don't think they've come across particularly well.

Regards

Doom

I find it quite embarrassing how they're now offering all sorts of sweeteners to encourage people not to vote yes, now they know it's a real possibility independence could happen.

If I was a Scot who had decided to vote yes, I'd be wondering why these offers of additional powers are only being offered now. I'd see it as nothing more than a bribe and it would harden my resolve to vote yes.

For what it's worth I hope the no campaign win, but I don't think they've come across particularly well.

Regards

Doom

So if you were in Scotland, and you were offered some of the freedoms that you wanted without the risk of independence you'd be more resolved to say no?

Don't know if this has already been covered; it's a long thread!

Why is there an exchange rate between England and Scotland? I thought we were the same country (at the moment), and I thought some places in England accepted Scottish money??

I thought Scottish notes were legal tender in England but having read a few articles it appears it isn't

"The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

HM Treasury is responsible for defining which notes have ‘legal tender’ status within the United Kingdom and the following extract from Bank of England’s website may help to clarify what is meant by “legal tender” and how little practical meaning the phrase has in everyday transactions.

“The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.”

(Ref. www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm.)"

From Here.

They can do whatever they want if they can balance the books and fund it.

Interesting point, the news is plastered with reports about how 'close' the race now is (based on one poll)

The bookies still have it 60-70% voting no, vs 30-40% voting yes.

They're taking bets/putting money on the outcome, so you'd image their odds are fairly accurate????

They can do whatever they want if they can balance the books and fund it.

I presume that was a response to my question about the NHS in Scotland?

Of course they can do whatever they want as long as they're prepared to fund it, but why should an independent Scotland have the NHS "brand" and all its assets?

I presume that was a response to my question about the NHS in Scotland?

Of course they can do whatever they want as long as they're prepared to fund it, but why should an independent Scotland have the NHS "brand" and all its assets?

The could call it whatever they want. Why would it concern you what they call their health service after independence? It's that sort of petty-minded little-Englander mentality that has led to the Scots being on the verge of voting for independence.

The could call it whatever they want. Why would it concern you what they call their health service after independence? It's that sort of petty-minded little-Englander mentality that has led to the Scots being on the verge of voting for independence.

No, the bricks and mortar hospitals and the equipment and staff inside are all of the NHS of the United Kingdom. Why should a foreign country have this? if the UK must remove Trident from Scotland we should remove the NHS from them too and let them establish their own hospital system.