Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

No, the bricks and mortar hospitals and the equipment and staff inside are all of the NHS of the United Kingdom. Why should a foreign country have this? if the UK must remove Trident from Scotland we should remove the NHS from them too and let them establish their own hospital system.

Has it not occurred to you that the Scots have paid for it all as much as the Welsh, English and Irish have paid for it and as such it's as much theirs as it is anyone else's? Has it not occurred to you that talking about removing their health system just makes you look like a child throwing his rattle out of the pram?

But as I need a good laugh I'd like you to volunteer to go up and ask for our bricks, mortar and beds back. You'll certainly be in need of a NHS bed if you do.

The NHS Scotland has been independent from the rest of the NHS since the inception of the NHS in 1948. Before the Scottish Parliament took over responsibility for the running of it, it came under the ministerial oversight of the Scottish Office.

The NHS Scotland has been independent from the rest of the NHS since the inception of the NHS in 1948. Before the Scottish Parliament took over responsibility for the running of it, it came under the ministerial oversight of the Scottish Office.

It was administratively separate on being established in 1948 but funded by Westminster. It seems to be different now since devolution in 1999.

It was administratively separate on being established in 1948 but funded by Westminster. It seems to be different now since devolution in 1999.

That's what I tried to say, in clumsy manner, when I said that the Scottish Parliament tool over responsibility. Before devolution I'm guessing that everything in the UK was funded by Westminster.

The point is stands though, NHS Scotland is is separate organisation from the rest of the NHS.

If, going forward after a successful Yes vote there ends up being a cooperation/relationship between Scotland and the UK in which Scotland benefits greatly but for the UK is no great change, there will be a lot of disquiet in England; why should a UK of 55 or so million people have a poxy little country of 5 or so million people leaching off it and prospering as a result?

If there's a YES win, cut the cord.

What happens if its too close to call, will they argue about recounts in the courts for years to come?
My very thought and question, alch :)

And my answer for now is: very probably, with much media noise around...and little to no changes in terms of political and administrative powers in the meantime, to No.10's and Westminster's satisfaction.

Edited by L00b

To be fair they've been announcing these sweeteners in Scotland for years, the line has always been: Stay and you will get more devolution. It's just that here in England we didn't hear about them.

That's not what that Nicola Sturgeon's been saying on the TV.