Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

Yes, that is the logical conclusion. It is different for all of them though. I can see Spain in particular being really against an automatic re-union of Scotland into the EU as their separatist areas are pretty volatile. For Belgium it is slightly different as it isn't a discussion of an area separating but more of the country folding back into its natural form. I am not quite sure how stressed Italy and France would be, although both Corsica and Sardinia have a long history of seeking political independence.

The big question is though: Should we want to stop them gaining independence under the EU umbrella?

Neither France nor Italy would be. IMHO.

Corsica cannot realistically survive without its annual stipend from the French State. The summer tourism season isn't enough to fatten up for the rest of the year, hasn't been for decades. That's all they have to live on (there are no large or even medium industries, nor a service sector worth mentioning), and the Corsicans know it. The FLNC is just a front for mafious activities, has been for a very long time.

Sardinia independentists are just inconsequential these days, it's pretty much a hobbyist pursuit. There is little to no structure left to the movement, which is far too small and fragmented to be taken even semi-seriously by the Italian Gvt. The Northern League though, that's a different kettle of fish.

And Spain...in my line of work, in the context of legal developments aimed at streamlining and simplifying 'European' procedures (and therefore reducing costs for users/applicants), I've long experienced their reticence to make life easier for everybody in the name of their perceived national interest (cutting one's nose to spite one's face springs to mind). Even the Irish eventually "gave up" earlier this year, but Spain still hasn't, close to 7 years on. Neither has Italy, for that matter. So yes, I'd fully expect them to make EU accession difficult for Scotland, if they consider that accepting Scotland into the EU would incentivise the Basques and Catalans (and, so far as Italy is concerned, the Northern League at least).

LATE EDIT: whilst on about this aspect of the debate, here's a link to one of the better reports about the Scotland<>EU issue, which I find fair and balanced (notwithstanding its provenance). Nowhere near as fast, straightforward and seamless as Salmond/Sturgeon/the YESsers likes to make out.

Edited by L00b

No more tory government.

No more house of lords.

Probably the most common comments I'm hearing over the last few weeks.

I agree with them.

The house of Lords does need a good shake-up, but I think it's still important.

You get many very experienced people in there offering help and opinions.

It's the hereditary peer system I think needs abolishing, or at least curtailing to some extent.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 14:05 ----------

It would be better for England if Scotland then Wales went their own way. It would mean that we would be shut of the Labour party for ever.

a one party system is never a good idea.

All three main party leaders are dashing up to Scotland in a panic tomorrow, with William Hague deputising at PM's Question time tomorrow.

Alex Salmond must be rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect. The hated tories, the discredited labourites and the irrelevant libdems all going up to Scotland to plead and beg with them not to go.

Seeing as a lot of the impetus behind the Yes campaign is a dislike and distrust of "Westminster" and the three main English parties it will be interesting to see how their joint visit goes down.

Seeing as a lot of the impetus behind the Yes campaign is a dislike and distrust of "Westminster" and the three main English parties it will be interesting to see how their joint visit goes down.

All it needs now is a picture of Cameron looking completely bemused, like he's in a totally foreign country to seal the deal :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

If they could get someone with an incredibally thick Scottish accent to talk to them while the totally fail to understand a word they say that'd be awesome :D

All three main party leaders are dashing up to Scotland in a panic tomorrow, with William Hague deputising at PM's Question time tomorrow.

Alex Salmond must be rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect. The hated tories, the discredited labourites and the irrelevant libdems all going up to Scotland to plead and beg with them not to go.

Maybe the politicians will see the dangers of having a 'Londoncentric' government.

It's a pity we might lose Scotland to bring the message home.

Maybe the politicians will see the dangers of having a 'Londoncentric' government.

It's a pity we might lose Scotland to bring the message home.

If not London centric then what?

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 16:33 ----------

The house of Lords does need a good shake-up, but I think it's still important.

You get many very experienced people in there offering help and opinions.

It's the hereditary peer system I think needs abolishing, or at least curtailing to some extent.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 14:05 ----------

a one party system is never a good idea.

It wouldn't be a one party system UKIP, BNP, English Democrats, Monster Raving Loony, Labour Lib Dem. They could all blather on whilst the Tories lead us to the broad sunlit uplands of prosperity.

I think Cameron has handled it pretty well, he cant really lose, if the jocks decide to skip off to their Celtic paradise he knows that Labour is finished. Take away their 40 odd Labour seats and the chances of them getting back into power is remote.

Once in power and unencumbered by Libs Tories will bring in boundary changes, then its game set and match and we will then see a glorious future that will be entirely blue.If they stay, he will be the man who kept the union together.

Don`t lose sight of the rising popularity of Mr Farage. The demise of labour, I`m sure will be most welcome.

All it needs now is a picture of Cameron looking completely bemused, like he's in a totally foreign country to seal the deal :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

If they could get someone with an incredibally thick Scottish accent to talk to them while the totally fail to understand a word they say that'd be awesome :D

:hihi::hihi:That would be gold Jimme :hihi:

No more tory government.

No more house of lords.

Probably the most common comments I'm hearing over the last few weeks.

I agree with them.

If the 'Yes' camp wins historians will probably view the coalition as one of the most reckless and irresponsible in the last 300 years.

For a country like Scotland that is generally and genuinely left of centre the coalition has pushed just about every agenda possible that could serve to tip the balance. The NHS, tuition fees etc... Etc... Etc...

History will also view the opposition as utterly inept. Salmond will wipe the floor with Miliband every day of the week.