Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

there's been other polls today giving NO the lead again.

I'm hoping it's just this elaborate ploy by the Scots for them to to better enjoy their rare individual time on the world stage, by giving the impression it is a real razor tight election, because you can be sure they know a lot of people all over the world are watching this referendum with interest.

and then just pull back from the brink, to shave it 3 or 4 points for NO. Ugly has some of it has been, it has still been a democratic flow of events in action and not a tyranny of any kind. I could make a joke about 'Salmond's Stormtroopers' but I wouldn't really mean it. This is a genuine world event international news story coming out of Scotland and I do not blame them for so obviously relishing their day in the sun. Just so long as they just shave it, for NO at the end.

Hi, entering this debate late and in the end its for the Scottish people to decide but this potentially has much broader implications for the rest of the UK so maybe the voting population should have reflected that.

As for the debating points I think each side of the debate should have been required to provide a balanced view as to how all the positives would be funded at the outset but we are too advanced for that to be implemented.

The realistic outcome is that people will vote with their hearts as no alternative factual arguments have been established, and my view is that with immediate effect Scottish Westminster MPs should be withdrawn from the Houses of Parliament due to an obvious conflict oif interest in the event of a Yes vote ,I don't see how Scottish MPs can be allowed to influence Westminster policy from than point onwards.

In the event of independence then separation would be prescribed and consequently it cannot be acceptable to allow influence on the previous Union's fiscal policy and responsibily has to be accepted for any debt jointly incurred and any attempt to avoid debt responsibilities will be punitively dealt with by forces external to the UK and any view otherwise is frankly naive.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 23:13 ----------

Hi, entering this debate late and in the end its for the Scottish people to decide but this potentially has much broader implications for the rest of the UK so maybe the voting population should have reflected that.

As for the debating points I think each side of the debate should have been required to provide a balanced view as to how all the positives would be funded at the outset but we are too advanced for that to be implemented.

The realistic outcome is that people will vote with their hearts as no alternative factual arguments have been established, and my view is that with immediate effect Scottish Westminster MPs should be withdrawn from the Houses of Parliament due to an obvious conflict oif interest in the event of a Yes vote ,I don't see how Scottish MPs can be allowed to influence Westminster policy from than point onwards.

In the event of independence then separation would be prescribed and consequently it cannot be acceptable to allow influence on the previous Union's fiscal policy and responsibily has to be accepted for any debt jointly incurred and any attempt to avoid debt responsibilities will be punitively dealt with by forces external to the UK and any view otherwise is frankly naive.

The problem with that analogy is that most teenagers who leave home want to leave home, don't regret it, don't go back. grow up, move on and find their own place in life.

You should try it.

There is a trend for young adults to stay longer and longer with their parents because of the cost of going it alone - it is sell reported. The analogy is sound because it is a fact that your disposable income goes down when you leave the family nest. And the reality is that the Scots will not notice any additional freedoms in reality and they will quickly realise the grass was not greener... just more expensive.

Indenpendence is a bad idea and I am hopefully the majority of scots will recognise it.

They also suffered being used as guinea pigs for the poll tax by a Tory Government .

that is the way the Scots read it to this day and is also the way I read it at the time, but that is not the way it actually was, you would know this if you had read the memoirs of the various Tory Ministers who were at one time or another responsible for the poll tax. If the Scots were used as a 'guinea pig', then the Tories were spectacularly stupid, as the poll tax did not work in Scotland any more than it worked anywhere else and was what ultimately cost Thatcher her job. Why bother having a 'guinea pig' if you are not going to pay any attention to the results. Though it ended up being a good thing short-term for the Tories because with Thatcher gone, more people voted Tory in 1992 than had ever voted Tory before, or since.

There is a trend for young adults to stay longer and longer with their parents because of the cost of going it alone......

So they stay at home because economics dictate, not because they want to. As I said before, bad analogy.

In any case only a minority stay at home. Most flee the nest and never go back. It's called growing up and having a life.

So they stay at home because economics dictate, not because they want to. As I said before, bad analogy.

In any case only a minority stay at home. Most flee the nest and never go back. It's called growing up and having a life.

It is well reported that the deciding factor for most Scots is whether they will be better or worse off (financially) through independence... making the analogy relevant.

The 'freedoms' they will enjoy by fleeing the nest are also overstated. Not only will they find that it was cheaper paying board in the family home but they will also find that the leaders of their new independent home will be no better than those they turned their backs on. The government they elect will be no more effective, fairer, representative or honest than the one they already have. The will soon enough realise that the failings of our politicians and our systems will exist in theirs too because they are human failings and there is no escaping them. They will find that the grass isn't any greener... just more expensive.

Anyone who didn't vote for a winning party has to suffer being ruled by a government they didn't vote for. The Scots don't have a monopoly on that situation.

Was going to say the same thing

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 09:18 ----------

People in other regions of the UK could say the same thing about Labour! What makes the Scots so different?

And likewise I've never voted for the nasty divisive tories in my entire life, your point is?