Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

One of the real reasons the UK wants Scottland to return a No vote.

And of course another reason why they should not.

Scotland's banking assets stand at twelve times its national output, or £1.89 trillion, according to the Bank of England.The figure for the rest of the UK is only around five times of GDP. By comparison, Iceland's assets were around eight times the size of the economy when its banks went bust in 2007.

Credit Suisse say an independent Scotland is "overexposed to financial services" which make up 13pc of GDP and 7pc of all jobs.

But with the likes of the Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds already saying they would re-domicile to England in the event of a Yes vote, this would substantially reducing the new economy's exposure to bank failure, while causing the ratio of banking assets to GDP in the rest of the UK to shoot up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11084406/The-Scottish-economy-in-ten-essential-charts.html

Also despite comments to the contrary the Scottish Oil and Gas industry is by no means in trouble and world wide oil prices go up even more of the oil fields in the North Sea will become viable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29140970

Far from being bleak the future of Scotland without the rest of the UK is looking good.

The demographic forecasts for Scotland show it has an increasingly aging population which is not a particularly good thing but a Yes vote could dramatically change that. If less young people leave Scotland and there is a small boost in birthrate within a generation, as the numbers of older members of the popluation is diminished the percentage of Scots in work will rise.

There is also the potential for an Independent Scotland to have a far firmer grip on, or even bring a halt to, all immigration other than of course the readmission of ex-pats.

In short, for the younger members of the Scottish population a Yes vote has the potential to be very beneficial in the future.

Alex Salmond intends to increase immigration, if he gets the "yes" vote.

Scotland will always struggle to keep it's educated youth in Scotland.

I can't see ex-pats returning in droves if independence is achieved. Why would they?

Certainly was a treat.And where did he get that hat! Pity the "Brats" booed him at the end."Gizz us a drank ya wee bas...." ! We laugh.

I think the speach by Galloway was one of the best I'd heard on the devolution issue. It is worth listening again.

He knocked Gordon Brown into a Scotch Bonnet.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/06/listen-george-galloway-makes-the-case-against-scottish-independence/

I think the speach by Galloway was one of the best I'd heard on the devolution issue. It is worth listening again.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/06/listen-george-galloway-makes-the-case-against-scottish-independence/

I wish Parliament was knocked down period to the finest powder ash, a burnt cinder !!!

Edited by BEDROCK

nobody ever said he wasn't a good speaker and who even deserves that rare accolade of orator.

Galloway was like Orson Welles. When he beat Jenkins in Glasgow Hillhead, it was his Citizen Kane moment. After that, the only way to go was down.

I hope George does not work too hard and gets a game of golf while he's up there. I'd recommend Gullane if he's in Edinburgh tonight.

I think the level of disgust and disenfranchisement people now feel towards politicians is what's powering the yes vote.

The fact that those same politicians have now all shamelessly trooped up to Scotland has just hammered the point home. Where was their interest when there wasn't a vote in it?

People are sick of being ruled by a political class they have no respect for. The same is equally true of England. But how do we get rid of them?

I think the level of disgust and disenfranchisement people now feel towards politicians is what's powering the yes vote.

The fact that those same politicians have now all shamelessly trooped up to Scotland has just hammered the point home. Where was their interest when there wasn't a vote in it?

People are sick of being ruled by a political class they have no respect for. The same is equally true of England. But how do we get rid of them?

It seems to be outright hatred of the English that seems to powering the Yes vote in lieu of logic. Alex and his mates have in theory got nearly 50% of the vote with nothing but "we'll be alright" or "it's just scaremongering". If he had a valid plan I'd say go for it Scotland but he's promising so much with no clue how to pay for it - he doesn't even know what he'll pay for it with!!!

Theres little doubt the Scots see a brighter future away from us,and why shouldnt they,

theyve always looked to europe historically in uk disputes.

Just a shame yorkshire doesnt come under scottish duresdiction,were all fed up of everything bieng controled by London.

IMO theyd be better off breaking out on their own.

Galloway :hihi::hihi:

The man's a joke