A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

I will be amazed if they vote Yes.

The Scots are too attached to their purses, they will chose monetary safety over freedom every time.

The Irish were prepared to face up to an Empire and fight for their freedom and take whatever consequences came along.

The Scots only have to make a mark on a voting form to achieve the same result.

I like the Scots as people, they tend to be good company, but as a nation, not so much.

They will impress me for the first time as a nation if they vote Yes, but I doubt they will.

' Bought and sold for English gold, such a parcel of rogues in a nation.'

Rabbie Burns, following the act of union in 1707.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 23:50 ----------

Hadrians Wall is some considerable distance south of the Scottish border.

The inhabitants of Berwick plus many more English parishes will be a bit upset about that. :)

Next week we're going to visit my brother- in- law, who lives close to Wallsend which is exactly what it says, and it's on the coast east of Newcastle. :)

On the other hand per Doctor Johnson "The brightest prospect a Scotsman ever saw was the high road that leads to England"

or in the words of Samuel Johnson "The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees is the high road that leads him to England."and that what we'll see if they vote for independence - tens of thousands of economic refugees making their way to England for handouts.

Beyond a doubt and those NO voters, a few million of them who have no choice but to remain in Scotland left with a feeling of alienation having to exist in a newly independent foreign country

For those living on UK pensions the sense of insecurity must be very strong indeed

938]Beyond a doubt and those NO voters, a few million of them who have no choice but to remain in Scotland left with a feeling of alienation having to exist in a newly independent foreign country

For those living on UK pensions the sense of insecurity must be very strong indeed

I'm no great enthusiast for separatism - and reviving a medieval frontier in the middle of a tiny island like ours seems, on the face of it, quite needless and perhaps a little silly in this day and age. But I do find myself wondering if the dissolution of the Union might actually cause fewer problems than persisting with it.

Even if the polls are some distance out then we can be almost certain that at least 40% of Scots will have voted for separation come Thursday night, and the greater part of them will be bitterly disappointed at not having got their wish. The sovereignty movement isn't going away, maybe a clean amputation is better than a festering wound?:)

Centralised army is a terrible idea, thats not going to be a touchy subject sending another nations soliders to die. Perhaps its time for other EY countries to start pulling their weight instead of living off the backs of the UK and the Americans. Perhaps they might like to buy and have actual armies instead of cutting defence spending before trying to form an army with ytoops and money from other countries.

On the other hand per Doctor Johnson "The brightest prospect a Scotsman ever saw was the high road that leads to England"

Dr Johnson of course was an Englishman. :)

He also said a lot in his life, much of it contradictory.

' By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.'

' A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority, from his not having seen what it is expected a man should see.'

Make yer mind up Sam! :)

Beyond a doubt and those NO voters, a few million of them who have no choice but to remain in Scotland left with a feeling of alienation having to exist in a newly independent foreign country

A few million would be roughly half the country. Theyd still be in Scotland, just have a different relationship with the UK. No reason to think why they would feel insecure thats tosh.

Dr Johnson of course was an Englishman. :)

He also said a lot in his life, much of it contradictory.

' By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.'

' A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority, from his not having seen what it is expected a man should see.'

Make yer mind up Sam! :)

He also traveled extensively in Scotland with his biographer James Boswell where he learnt to love the country and the hospitality of its people.