Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

He also traveled extensively in Scotland with his biographer James Boswell where he learnt to love the country and the hospitality of its people.

No doubt he did ,but he also said this about them, when explaining the difference between the impudence of an Irishman and that of a Scotsman.

" The impudence of an Irishman is the impudence of a fly that buzzes about you and you put it away, but it returns again and flutters and teases you. The impudence of a Scotsman is the impudence of a leech, that fixes and sucks your blood."

If there's any truth in that, they'll definitely vote NO :D

One could argue that given the likelyhood of the YES or NO result being a very closely run thing that perhaps a 51% majority is insuffice a number upon which to make such decisions.

That said;

Admittedly it would be flying in the face of convention but would it not be more reasonable to had a requirement (obviosly not imposed in retrospect) that that vote with compulsory participation should be repeated until such time as the numer of recorded votes, YES NO and spoiled papers produced a 75% majority in favour of either of the two only outcomes. Which would severely reduce the number of people who have not agreed to the final outcome.

I'm no great enthusiast for separatism - and reviving a medieval frontier in the middle of a tiny island like ours seems, on the face of it, quite needless and perhaps a little silly in this day and age. But I do find myself wondering if the dissolution of the Union might actually cause fewer problems than persisting with it.

Even if the polls are some distance out then we can be almost certain that at least 40% of Scots will have voted for separation come Thursday night, and the greater part of them will be bitterly disappointed at not having got their wish. The sovereignty movement isn't going away, maybe a clean amputation is better than a festering wound?:)

Wont happen. No British Government or Prime Minister would want to effect a dissolution of the United Kingdom. That's not what governments do. Even in the extreme unlikelihood that dissolution was considered it would again have to be put before the Scottish people because the UK is a democracy.

I say the Scottish people because being part of the UK is a problem with them and not with the rest of the UK

---------- Post added 18-09-2014 at 17:00 ----------

They don't like "London Types" and Toffs.

Most English, certainly in Northern cities, have so much more in common with the Scottish than they do with that lot.

If they do become independent I wouldn't mind moving up there!

A sound reason to break up a country no doubt :hihi:

Edited by Harleyman

........................................................................................................................................

Has anyone said where the border would be?

I think it safe to assume that said border would be the same as it is now.

Following the River Eden, the Esk, Liddel Water, the Kershope Burn then it gets rather vague as it does not always follow rivers till meets the coast north of berwick -upon-tweed.

More interesting perhaps is will passport control be implemented on the border and shall there be a fence or wall to mark it.

The topography of the area in question is not so severe as to prevent some form of demarcation though it would prove rather expensive.

No doubt he did ,but he also said this about them, when explaining the difference between the impudence of an Irishman and that of a Scotsman.

" The impudence of an Irishman is the impudence of a fly that buzzes about you and you put it away, but it returns again and flutters and teases you. The impudence of a Scotsman is the impudence of a leech, that fixes and sucks your blood."

If there's any truth in that, they'll definitely vote NO :D

Lot of truth in that. I shared a barrack room with a Jock for a short time during my army career. He was always trying to cadge ciggies from the rest of us when we all knew he had a stash of his own in his locker

To be honest I never met one I liked. Humorless, arrogant, over opinionated, a tendency for violence when drunk and of course "canny wi his brass laddie"

I also went with a Scottish girl from Edinburgh for six months while living in Canada. That was the strangest relationship with a female I ever experienced.

She wasn't eager for anything sexual and I cannot recall her ever once offering to pay for drinks although she really did like her whiskey and ginger ale. Too bad I still felt strongly attracted to her nevertheless despite our sexually sterile relationship :hihi:

But patience is not everlasting so I told her if I wanted a sister for company then I'd hang out with my own :hihi:

Edited by Harleyman

........................................................................................................................................

I think it safe to assume that said border would be the same as it is now.

Following the River Eden, the Esk, Liddel Water, the Kershope Burn then it gets rather vague as it does not always follow rivers till meets the coast north of berwick -upon-tweed.

More interesting perhaps is will passport control be implemented on the border and shall there be a fence or wall to mark it.

The topography of the area in question is not so severe as to prevent some form of demarcation though it would prove rather expensive.

So let the Scots pay for whatever kind of demarcation they choose to erect