Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

When push comes to shove and they reach the ballot box, enough Scots will realise what an economic disaster a yes vote would be and they'll bottle it.

I've thought that all along. Waving a broadsword and quoting from Braveheart on the way into the polling booth then getting twitchy when push comes to shove.

A bit like the miners who voted for redundancy or people who are all fire and brimstone revolutionaries but then vote Tory.

The results of this poll would suggest that half of SF posters are woolly-minded liberal lefties! :rolleyes:

Explain to us what is "woolly minded" "liberal" or "leftie" about independence.

Do you want to be independent? Would you be happy to be ruled by Brussels? Or do you bleat and moan about European directives? If you do then you must be a woolly minded liberal lefty according to your philosophy.

Not sure how that would 'benefit' them.

Belfast and Larne are both in the UK so they were already in this jurisdiction and achieving nothing by sailing to Scotland.

Also the Irish benefit system pays a lot more than the UK system, so they would have been better off going over the border into the Republic.

As Agent Orange pointed out in an earlier post the problem with a Scots Yes vote will only come into play if Scotland decide to play the game under completely different rules and operate an 'open border' policy for non EU nationals.

Don't see why they would, so doubt there's a real problem.

If the UK and Ireland - a country which gained independence by fighting for it - can come to a civilized arrangement, and become friends and allies as they are now, I can't see a reason why the UK and Scotland can't proceed in an orderly fashion if there's a yes vote.

A lot of this negative conjecture is coming from the No side, who have made a complete horlicks of their campaign.

Had Devo Max been offered from the start then in my opinion that's what the Scots would have gone for.

Making it a yes or no choice, and then sending a bunch of public school English posh boys plus John Prescott up to tell those poor thick Jocks which side their bread was buttered on was just about the stupidest thing they could have done.

The only way they could have done worse would have been to get that prat Bono to come out on the side of the No vote.

And as there's a couple of days left it may still happen.

Lax security checks on the Cherbourg to Rossiare ferry. Cars/vans getting waved through with illegals in. Once in Ireland they would move on to Belfast and the ferry to Stranraer.Lax checks at stranraer (due to cutting the number of Police there) Then the illegals would disperse north and south.

Since then security checks have been beefed up.

Lot of truth in that. I shared a barrack room with a Jock for a short time during my army career. He was always trying to cadge ciggies from the rest of us when we all knew he had a stash of his own in his locker

To be honest I never met one I liked. Humorless, arrogant, over opinionated, a tendency for violence when drunk and of course "canny wi his brass laddie"

Not been my experience at all. I worked for many years in two companies that had branches in Scotland, visited regularly - as they did to England - and got on with virtually all of them.

They tend to be quite amusing company and I have to say I never met one not willing to get his round in.

When it comes to independence however they strike me as weird.

The only real argument I had with a Scot was with a Glaswegian who tried to persuade me that Ireland should rejoin the Union.

When I pointed out that it had taken hundreds of years to gain their freedom and I couldn't think of any reason why they would want to do such a ridiculous thing, he said 'for their protection'!

I pointed out that after Brian Boru defeated the Vikings at the battle of Clontarf in 1014 the only people the Irish required protection from over the next thousand years, was the British.

It got a bit rowdy at that point! But commonsense prevailed. :)

Personally I have no doubt that they could make a success of it, but don't think they'll take the chance.

For a race known for aggression their a bit timid when it comes to standing on their own feet and being a Nation.

Well all I can say is not only have I never been asked for identification I have never witnessed anyone else asked for it either.

No instructions are given with regard to carrying any form of identification when traveling between the two countries, and therefore I cannot see how any identification can be asked for.

As already stated I make that journey every year, twice last year and other than the few occasions when I've used Ryan Air it's never even occurred to me to carry any form of ID.

In 2001 together with a cousin I traveled as a foot passenger on the Stena fast cat to see a Hurling semi final in Dublin I certainly had no means of identifying myself and I doubt he did either.

Neither the British nor the Irish are required to carry ID, therefore neither of them can be required to identify themselves to officials other than in specific circumstances where there is a suspicion - or evidence - of a crime being committed.

That's how we like it, and unless we wind up with some extreme right or left wing nutjobs in charge that's how it will stay.

As for Scotland,the same arrangement will no doubt be adopted.

What interests me is what happens to the armed forces in the event of a yes vote?

Do we divide them up? If so how? And the Scots can be a bit aggressive, I've been drinking on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow on a number of occasions! :o

Given their own Army things could get out of hand. :D

Haha!

Sauchiehall Street can get a bit messy at times.

My missus gets a lot of business around there (Forensics):D

Lax security checks on the Cherbourg to Rossiare ferry. Cars/vans getting waved through with illegals in. Once in Ireland they would move on to Belfast and the ferry to Stranraer.Lax checks at stranraer (due to cutting the number of Police there) Then the illegals would disperse north and south.

Since then security checks have been beefed up.

Not doubting you, but I have an Irish passport, and needed to renew it in a hurry about 5 years ago.

Had to go to the Irish passport office located in London near Harrods.

There were about 70 odd people in the waiting area, three of them were white and I was one of them. They were all applying for visas to enter Ireland.

When I asked what was going on it was explained to me how much better financially it was to claim benefits in the Republic rather than here.

Maybe the ones you are referring to had family or friends already in Britain.

Or were badly informed! :)

Bedders, that's THE most adorable post about politics that has ever been written!

Hahaha!

Nice one.:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 18-09-2014 at 20:25 ----------

:hihi:

Have you read the comments?

Careful, might be considered 'scare tactics'! That's another line the yes campaign like to use.

-

I was going to quote this one as to show the income they receive, but if you read the 'Conclusion' it's nonsense! Look at the wording:

-

Make of this as you will. Of course is HAS what it takes, but this doesn't say it will work. It's so risky. I just can't see the point.

Anyway, enough of this now today from me. Let's see what happens. Any ideas when the final result will happen? I haven't seen that mentioned.

My view is: it's absolutely nuts to vote yes and I doubt it will happen, I can't imagine there are enough stupid people. It doesn't really affect me I don't think, but I'm interested in it.

If they vote yes, then I'll feel sorry for the no voters, but I would want a border in place, and no bailing them out, especially if they don't take on a proportion of debt.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 14:45 ----------

OK one more reply as these are important points :hihi:

I wrote earlier Made in England or whatever, but having looked in my fridge, it's more like 'using the union flag' than saying Made in wherever.

If they can't use the flag, then it will be like what you say in the bottom part of this quote.

Bit insulting there Ash!

I've just voted "yes" I aint stupid.:D

Not been my experience at all. I worked for many years in two companies that had branches in Scotland, visited regularly - as they did to England - and got on with virtually all of them.

They tend to be quite amusing company and I have to say I never met one not willing to get his round in.

When it comes to independence however they strike me as weird.

The only real argument I had with a Scot was with a Glaswegian who tried to persuade me that Ireland should rejoin the Union.

When I pointed out that it had taken hundreds of years to gain their freedom and I couldn't think of any reason why they would want to do such a ridiculous thing, he said 'for their protection'!

I pointed out that after Brian Boru defeated the Vikings at the battle of Clontarf in 1014 the only people the Irish required protection from over the next thousand years, was the British.

It got a bit rowdy at that point! But commonsense prevailed. :)

Personally I have no doubt that they could make a success of it, but don't think they'll take the chance.

For a race known for aggression their a bit timid when it comes to standing on their own feet and being a Nation.

Not my recollection of them at all. I did contribute one penny to the school collection for assistant principal Jock Sutherland's wedding gift. What a dour miserable sod of a man he was.

Ireland did alright going it's own way but anything was a vast improvement on what the country had gone through for a few hundred years prior to that.

Scotland's history by comparison is pretty tame