Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

we have never had an election like this before, but it looks like East Lothian may be the first to declare. If they go NO then that will be bad for YES. Because I would have thought East Lothian would be more likely to go for YES than most of the rest of the 31 other Scottish councils that will declare tonight.

it's NO

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a bit more than what I thought it would be, I reckoned it would be 52-48 but it looks like it will be more like 53 or 54

which is not a narrow margin. In a French presidential election final run off, which is the nearest kind of election to this one that I know, 54-46 is not considered close, at all but a comfortable margin of victory.

I think Scotland has made the right decision, but I know many people will be bitterly disappointed.

Scotland will get additional powers, the SNP will claim that was what they wanted all along. Alex Salmond's political career has reached its peak; he won't be the SNP leader for much longer.

David Cameron is due to speak at 7am - another man whose days are numbered. He has already tweeted "I've spoken to Alistair Darling - and congratulated him on an well-fought campaign". I hope he has also spoken to Gordon Brown and thanked him for saving the Union and preventing all hell breaking lose.

And what of Gordon Brown? A return to front line politics as he hinted?

They voted no, nothing's changed, yet everything has changed.

the SNP peoiple are clinging loyally to the idea of Salmond as their leader, but surely his time is up and if he does not resign then somebody must challenge him. He's toast. But do not forget that Salmond has been easily the most effective political figure in the UK, in the past 10 years regardless of tonight's result. So deserves respect for that.

he's been there for twenty years already, for crying out loud. He's got to go. Even if it had been a YES vote, he might not have held on.

---------- Post added 19-09-2014 at 06:06 ----------

I

And what of Gordon Brown? A return to front line politics as he hinted?

where is he going to go? He is not suited for Europe, is he? Where else? Gordon always liked America, so maybe Ambassador to the USA if Labour wins next time?

oh no it can't be that. David was supposed to get that if Ed wins.

Edited by blake

Blown it Jockos. The one chance in a generation to rule yourselves and when push came to shove you just bottled it.

At least it was a proper election, people got involved and were passionate about voting unlike so many other votes we've had recently whether it be for Euro elections, council elections, stupid Police Commissioner elections or union strike votes.

Now lets see if Westminster honours all those promises they made as a desperate bid to secure a no vote.

where is he going to go? He is not suited for Europe, is he? Where else? Gordon always liked America, so maybe Ambassador to the USA if Labour wins next time?

oh no it can't be that. David was supposed to get that if Ed wins.

I can see him standing down as an MP and standing for the Scottish Parliament. I wouldn't like to guess who will control the next Scottish Parliament but I can see a potential role for Labour as I think the outcome of this referendum will hit the SNP's support.

I can see him standing down as an MP and standing for the Scottish Parliament. I wouldn't like to guess who will control the next Scottish Parliament but I can see a potential role for Labour as I think the outcome of this referendum will hit the SNP's support.

I would have thought the sight of Labour MPs standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories would devastate the Labour vote in Scotland. They can now be seen as supporters of the bedroom tax, supporters of NHS privatisation and supporters of the status quo. The SNP can now rightly say that a vote for Labour is a vote for Westminster.

What a mess. Constitutional crisis has not been averted, just kicked into the long grass.

The desperation of the No campaign has created a complete crapstorm. A few years down the line people could be saying it would have been easier if Scotland had voted yes.

And I hope the main parties can get rid of their current leaders. All three are liabilities to the UK, chancers, gamblers.