Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

So could it lead to English MP's having total control over English legislation?

Inevitably I reckon

But.....what happens if one party has a majority at UK level but a different party has majority at English level. What happens if the same party always has a majority in England effectively leaving some English voters without any choice on English matters. Scottish voters may have a similar issue too.

Big problems down the line, might take 10-20 years to become apparent.

Scottish parliament is a bit of a step down, for Gordon I would have thought. Nope, poor Gordon. You've heard about the Flying Dutchman haven't you. Well he is like the Flying Scotsman.

I don't think he'd see it that way. The Scottish Parliament is going to get more powers and wouldn't be a step down from four years in the wilderness. I'm not sure it would be about "status" anyway, I do actually think he cares about Scotland.

I would have thought the sight of Labour MPs standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tories would devastate the Labour vote in Scotland. They can now be seen as supporters of the bedroom tax, supporters of NHS privatisation and supporters of the status quo. The SNP can now rightly say that a vote for Labour is a vote for Westminster.

I disagree - a vote for Labour is a vote for Labour. Salmond will no doubt try to argue that a vote for Labour is a vote for the Tories, but as proven in this referrendum, Scottish voters are not stupid enough to believe everything Salmond says. The fact that Labour and the Tories stood together for the Union does not mean Labour want to privitise the NHS.

But.....what happens if one party has a majority at UK level but a different party has majority at English level. What happens if the same party always has a majority in England effectively leaving some English voters without any choice on English matters. Scottish voters may have a similar issue too.

Then it's time to re-start the debate on abolishing the First Past the Post system in favour of some form of PR. Another referrendum, anyone? :)

Well what an odd nights sleep I've had, bizarre dreams about Scotland as well

How ironic that the home of whisky actually bottled it when it really mattered

I desperately wanted a YES vote and feel bitterly shattered for the Scottish residents

Days from now, laying in their beds, people will forever regret this chance of freedom!

I can't say I particularly like Alex Salmond and was hoping the no vote would wipe the smirk off of his smug face, but fair play to him, he's been far more dignified in defeat (to date) than I thought he would be.

Regards

Doom

I can't say I particularly like Alex Salmond and was hoping the no vote would wipe the smirk off of his smug face, but fair play to him, he's been far more dignified in defeat (to date) than I thought he would be.

Regards

Doom

instead we have to look at Cameron and Darling's smug face!:help:

we have never had an election like this before, but it looks like East Lothian may be the first to declare. If they go NO then that will be bad for YES. Because I would have thought East Lothian would be more likely to go for YES than most of the rest of the 31 other Scottish councils that will declare tonight.

Very true.

Mainly because it was a referendum and not an election.