A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

---------- Post added 19-09-2014 at 13:31 ----------

Do you really think that unless the ideologists offered free tax this and free that, that companies wouldn't relocate?

It would go against all the 'yes campaign' to allow these breaks to happen, so they would relocate. It's not threats, it's reality. Companies aren't going to lose money just to stay on side with a few people who don't want the 'bedroom tax'.

The yes campaign call it threats though to try and deflect the truth.

It didn't need these 'threats' anyway. The no voting majority saw that the economy would be almost certainly be damaged with or without these 'threats', and voted accordingly.

The Scots are perfectly able to decide for themselves, I have no problem with that.

What I do have is a problem with people who say that they wouldn't be able to be successful on their own.

That is simply ridiculous, Scotland could be very successful and take it's place amongst the sovereign nations of the world in it's own right.

They have decided against that, fair enough, up to them, as a people I quite like them, as a nation I don't rate them.

Denmark, Norway, New Zealand and Ireland all have populations smaller than, or not much larger than Scotland, and all of them provide their citizens with a higher standard of living than the UK.

Scotland has chosen to remain tied to another country which will always dominate it, simply by size and historical arrangement.

That's their decision, but lets not talk nonsense about them being unable to go it alone.

What I do have is a problem with people who say that they wouldn't be able to be successful on their own.

That's no concern of mine, or anyone else, other than the Scottish themselves. I would of course wish them well.

The primary concern for me; is are we (England) better off with or without them. If the answer to that question is 'yes', then I think we have every right to dissolve or renegotiate our relationship with them. Maybe the answer would be for England to leave the UK?

How many people have said that really mjw? Certainly not me.

I have said that it would be risky to try it. Why risk it when they get a pretty good deal being all together?

That is simply ridiculous, Scotland could be very successful and take it's place amongst the sovereign nations of the world in it's own right.

'Could', see, even you can't commit to saying WOULD.

If this simple word was changed, then they likely have voted yes. I pointed that out earlier in the thread.

The primary concern for me; is are we (England) better off with or without them. If the answer to that question is 'yes', then I think we have every right to dissolve or renegotiate our relationship with them. Maybe the answer would be for England to leave the UK?

Yep, I think this is where the debate will head now, or soon.

I have mixed feelings about the result. I'm pleased for the no voters. I think the decision is the right one for Scotland.

Already Sturgeon is starting with 'what more can we get out of them?'

Edited by *_ash_*

That's no concern of mine, or anyone else, other than the Scottish themselves. I would of course wish them well.

That would be an amusingly ironic way to go, seeing as how it was England that was responsible for the formation of the UK in the first place. :)

There was an interesting article in the Times a day or so ago where a columnist put forward the suggestion that we should have a council for England.

In order to try to assist in reducing the unhealthy concentration of money and power in the South East, he suggested basing it in a provincial city, one of his suggestions was Sheffield.

I'd go along with that! :)

He suggested helping to fund it by abolishing the unelected House of Lords, I'd go along with that too.

---------- Post added 19-09-2014 at 14:38 ----------

How many people have said that really mjw? Certainly not me.

I have said that it would be risky to try it. Why risk it when they get a pretty good deal being all together?

'Could', see, even you can't commit to saying WOULD.

If this simple word was changed, then they likely have voted yes. I pointed that out earlier in the thread.

[/i]

So, given the chance to stand on their own back legs, and be a nation amongst the other sovereign nations of the world, they're not prepared to take a risk?

My mothers people the Irish fought and died for their freedom, and took the financial consequences they knew were coming.

There is no comparison between the two, Ireland is a nation, Scotland is an annex of a superior nation.

Their choice, but whilst liking individual Scots I have no respect for them collectively.

Their choice to choose, my choice to hold that view.

Seems like you're also lumbered with the 400,000 English,who reside in Scotland too.

Are you in employment Bedrock?[/quote

]

like we are lumbered with the 750,000 living in other parts of the UK and who did not, by the way, have the vote, while various recent arrivals from Poland and Czech Republic, some not even UK citizens, did.:)

Fear wins again. The media had a big part to play. Only 1 national newspaper in Scotland supported independence.

Then you read stories in the press like "Scotland is addicted to Welfare and are addicted to the 'something for nothing' society".........Scotland have let those idiots win!!

Fear won the vote.