Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

Whilst very interesting Harleyman what has this got to do with Scottish Independence exactly? And it doesn't matter who your ancestors were distinguished or otherwise. What counts is they were your family. My lot since we're sharing family history are a mix of Irish, Scottish Highlands and Scottish Central and Lowlanders. I am related to some who are famous and very well known worldwide, people you will have certainly heard of - but so what? I have proven links to James the 5th of Scotland for example all reasearched and have the docs to prove it but hey so what? Does it make a difference to me or Scotland? - don't think so.What difference does it make to the Scottish Independence debate - other than one of them said on media he wasn't voting ?

It makes no difference whatsoever ann, Harleyman and I simply got into a discussion and digressed somewhat, if that upset you then that's a shame but hardly worth worrying about, is it?

With regard to famous ancestors we all have them, it's only a question of how close the connection is.

I object to royalty and aristocracy for that very reason. No one should inherit the deeds of their ancestors, for good or ill.

Whilst I have no problem with inheriting wealth, that is where it should end, the inheritance of deference and influence is ludicrous and no grown up country should contemplate allowing it.

Back on topic, it seems to me that the demographics in terms of age of the voters means there is every possibility that this will not be over.

But passing down stories of long ago past wars and injustices to gullible children doesn't really serve a useful purpose. It's divisive essentially and there's little point to it

Yes its called culture and of course all should be done to eradicae any of that nonsense.

Look at christmas and how that's been improved without stories, it appears that half the people don't actually know its religious celbration just a festival of credit.

I seriously doubt most people know the origins of the easter holidays or what eggs rabbits and chicks have to do with it.

I would not mind betting most people don't even know why we have holidays or the origins of mothers day.

Keep on stopping the stories and lets get everyone dumbed down as quickly as possible.

The children in my family know the stories, they know some of their national, cultural and family histories, accompishments and failiures and will learn more details as they grow older. .they ask questions about anything and feel free to do so and know they will get answers or explanations.

Feel free to lose your culture, become a part of a homoginised mish-mash of races and call it humanity, with no sense of national, regional or even personal identity. Then wonder why you have seem to have no control of your life and when get beyond the trivial no real personal choices left to make.

Won't life be so much easier... live here work there eat from this list watch and listen to that.. why because we told you to.. ask again and get put in a asylum for being disruptively deviant.

Edited by alternageek
fixed tags

But passing down stories of long ago past wars and injustices to gullible children doesn't really serve a useful purpose. It's divisive essentially and there's little point to it

-

Yes its called culture and of course all should be done to eradicae any of that nonsense.

Look at christmas and how that's been improved without stories, it appears that half the people don't actually know its religious celbration just a festival of credit.

I seriously doubt most people know the origins of the easter holidays or what eggs rabbits and chicks have to do with it.

I would not mind betting most people don't even know why we have holidays or the origins of mothers day.

Keep on stopping the stories and lets get everyone dumbed down as quickly as possible.

The children in my family know the stories, they know some of their national, cultural and family histories, accompishments and failiures and will learn more details as they grow older. .they ask questions about anything and feel free to do so and know they will get answers or explanations.

Feel free to lose your culture, become a part of a homoginised mish-mash of races and call it humanity, with no sense of national, regional or even personal identity. Then wonder why you have seem to have no control of your life and when get beyond the trivial no real personal choices left to make.

Won't life be so much easier... live here work there eat from this list watch and listen to that.. why because we told you to.. ask again and get put in a asylum for being disruptively deviant.

Words that Josef Goebbels would have been proud of :D

Maybe the US with 300 million plus people and a "mish mash" of races is an example to the rest of a fractured world how people can live in peace together in one nation

Edited by alternageek
fixed tags

-

Words that Josef Goebbels would have been proud of :D

Maybe the US with 300 million plus people and a "mish mash" of races is an example to the rest of a fractured world how people can live in peace together in one nation

US and Britain fighting jihad wars 2014. Do a Google.

Edited by alternageek
fixed tags

Mod Note:

When trying to split quoted posts, please make sure you have the right tags used, to make sure people understand who/what youre quoting exactly

You need to make sure you have the following around each quote:

[quote] message [/quote] 

Alternately, you can chose to preview your post, in order to make sure the quote tags are working correctly.

Thank you.

Edited by alternageek

I would suggest doing an internet search on how many riots has there been in the good old USA.

Did you read what you wrote before you posted it?

I don't believe for one moment that you are that naive so I can only summise that you are trying to mislead. Misleading people is one way of oppposing a post without actually refuting it I suppose, more adult than insulting the poster though I'll give you that.

I'll admit the US has developed its own culture derived from all the immigrants from all over the world and quite rightly so. And most americans I firmly believe would defend and even fight to protect their culture. As I would mine.

Pity the US has developed its culture at the expense of all the cultures it wiped out and the acts of near genocide it performed on the indigenous peoples.

I suppose that doesn't matter because it's in the past. Makes it a lot easier to sleep with a clear conscience I guess.

I would suggest doing an internet search on how many riots has there been in the good old USA.

Did you read what you wrote before you posted it?

I don't believe for one moment that you are that naive so I can only summise that you are trying to mislead. Misleading people is one way of oppposing a post without actually refuting it I suppose, more adult than insulting the poster though I'll give you that.

I'll admit the US has developed its own culture derived from all the immigrants from all over the world and quite rightly so. And most americans I firmly believe would defend and even fight to protect their culture. As I would mine.

Pity the US has developed its culture at the expense of all the cultures it wiped out and the acts of near genocide it performed on the indigenous peoples.

I suppose that doesn't matter because it's in the past. Makes it a lot easier to sleep with a clear conscience I guess.

And the good old British Empire did nothing but good for all the people it ruled worldwide. :hihi: :hihi: Tell that to the Hindus. Muslims and the peoples of Africa. Oh and lets not forget the Scots highlanders and the Irish while we're at it

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 02:34 ----------

Let it go people its over. lol

Aye it's over but I hate a bull shidder. Had to set him straight

Edited by Harleyman

And the good old British Empire did nothing but good for all the people it ruled worldwide. :hihi: :hihi: Tell that to the Hindus. Muslims and the peoples of Africa. Oh and lets not forget the Scots highlanders and the Irish while we're at it

You forgot the aborigies and the maori.

I never denied the english have much to answer for. Not least for involving the Scots welsh and irish in some of their shameful foreign exploits.

We were however talking about culture.

It was you that was mistakenly holding up the US culture as a good example of harmony.

Don't misunderstand me. I like many of the americans I have met and all that choose to associate with which I do both regularly and frequently, but even they will admit the US is in all kinds of trouble. One of its major problems being cultural relations within its own borders.

Edited by Tommo68