Scottish Independence

A wee question of Scottish independence  

213 members have voted

1. 1. A wee question of Scottish independence

• I'm Scottish and I vote "YES", we should self-govern
    • I'm Scottish and I vote "NO", we should stay in the UK
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "YES", let them go
    • I'm English, Welsh or Irish, and I vote "NO", keep them in

I just love it when I hear the Daily Mail reader open their mouths and spout off about Scotland being subsidised by England. Even if it was true it isn't by a bunch of cloth-capped whippet breeders:

Yorkshire and Humberside:

Yorkshire & the Humber contributed £89.1bn to UK economic output. This was 7.1 per cent of the UK’s total economic output

Total Spending - £44.8 billion

What is 45 from 89?

Scotland:

Scotland contributed £103.8bn to UK economic output. This was 8.2 per cent of the UK’s total economic output

Total Spending £53.2 billion

What is 53 from 103?

So, who subsidises who my black pudding munching southern monkeys?

Looks like the skirt wearing carrot tops win slightly over the Tykes but not by a lot.

I did notice Yorkshire would have done far better if there were a few less dole scroungers. The best part of half of Yorkshire's spend was on lazy fools who can't be arsed to work, however, most are probably Scottish immigrants. :D

Looks like the skirt wearing carrot tops win slightly over the Tykes but not by a lot.

I did notice Yorkshire would have done far better if there were a few less dole scroungers. The best part of half of Yorkshire's spend was on lazy fools who can't be arsed to work, however, most are probably Scottish immigrants. :D

If you look at the figures again then you will see that the Scottish figures include 13.1 billion of pensions whereas the figures for Yorkshire and Humberside don't as pensions are administered centrally in England.

Excluding pension payments to give a proper comparison leaves a gross expenditure figure in Scotland of 40.1 billion. So 103.8 minus 40.1 leaves a figure of 63.7. The same calculation for Y and H gives a figure of 44.3. It looks slightly different now.

If all the Scottish immigrant dole scroungers are sent home, can we return the English ones to you?

BTW, no need to start throwing insults around you thick, fat pigeon molester.

No. That'd be Northern ones. The Southern ones (the very many I know) generally can't be @rsed about the Troubles, Sinn Fein, etc. (and don't particularly want reuniting with the North either...they'd sooner that part stays British so they can keep nipping up for cheap petrol, groceries, etc. :D)

Have you spent any significant time in the Republic? Lived there by any chance?

France.

I have spent time in the RoI but live there? Not a chance.

As for not being arsed about the troubles: there is a Rangers supporters club in Dublin who have to keep their club meetings etc. secret because of the hassle/trouble they would get.....not that they don't deserve it.

As for not being arsed about the troubles: there is a Rangers supporters club in Dublin who have to keep their club meetings etc. secret because of the hassle/trouble they would get.....not that they don't deserve it.

They are doing a pretty lousy job at keeping it a secret. Are the Scots as bad as keeping secrets as they are at sport?

Anyway, moving on... if Scotland do get their independence, which I doubt they will, what will happen when we remove our armed forces? How are you going to defend yourselves?

I have. 4 years to be precise (reasonably recently too).

So have a little bit of authority behind my earlier assertion: many a football, rugby and other team/non-team match/sporting event watched in many a (non-touristy) pub, where the locals were clearly (and at times loudly) siding with England, in preference to the other, generally non-English-speaking/non-Commonwealth country ;)

Once seen a group of Irish lads driving another group of Welsh lads out of the pub, over their (overly loud and most family unfriendly) jibes against England in an England v Italy rugby match. How refreshing that was.

Edited by L00b

They are doing a pretty lousy job at keeping it a secret. Are the Scots as bad as keeping secrets as they are at sport?

Anyway, moving on... if Scotland do get their independence, which I doubt they will, what will happen when we remove our armed forces? How are you going to defend yourselves?

Oh dear, yet another ill-informed person. I have spent time in the Armed Forces and at that time (unless I was totally mistaken), they were the British Armed Forces rather than the English Armed Forces. In fact, during GW1, it was estimated that 35% of the deployed forces personnel were Scottish.

One other thing for you to ponder is this: when you remove "your" forces, where the f*** do you think you will base the submarine force and their associated weapons. I think you'll find that where they are based (Scotland) is currently the only suitable location.

Oh dear, yet another ill-informed person. I have spent time in the Armed Forces and at that time (unless I was totally mistaken), they were the British Armed Forces rather than the English Armed Forces. In fact, during GW1, it was estimated that 35% of the deployed forces personnel were Scottish.

One other thing for you to ponder is this: when you remove "your" forces, where the f*** do you think you will base the submarine force and their associated weapons. I think you'll find that where they are based (Scotland) is currently the only suitable location.

Erm, Scotland want to break from the Union, which is England, Scotland... etc etc. Scotland will not be part of Britain if that's the case. So, again... what you going to do for if Scotland are no longer entitled to British defence?

Edited by Agent Orange

Erm, Scotland want to break from the Union, which is England, Scotland... etc etc. Scotland will not be part of Britain if that's the case. So, again... what you going to do for defence?

You don't think the number of Scottish troops currently serving in the British Army, would suffice?

And I think you'll find that there's quite a bit of water around England, Ireland and Wales. :) The Clyde is handy for getting to deep water quickly but I wouldn't imagine that you'll be keeping the submarines for yourself.

As an aside, when you were in the armed forces, who did you swear your allegiance to?