Plan for the day

Hey brides to be!

I need a bit of help planning the timing/ layout of the day- i want it to be all relaxed so doesn't really matter if the day doesn't go exactley like this (and i am sure it wont!) but would be nice to have something written down i can give the wedding coordinator on the day. i was thinking:

ceremony- 1pm

drinks reception/ photos- 1.30pm- 3pm

wedding breakfast- 3pm- 5.30pm (approx)

"in between bit from day event to night the DJ will start to play music here but more background music and the marquee will start to be turned around for evening(evening guest are invited from 6.30pm) - 5.30pm-7pm

first dance and father and daughter dance- 7pm

band perform- 7.15pm- 8.15pm

band end, DJ starts to play and evening food is brought out- 8.15pm

music is played untill end of night at 11.30pm

Does that all sound ok and achievable?

when do you usually cut the cake? Would this be after the speeches and food or when after the first dance?

Anyone's comments would be appreciated!

Helen

My experience is only my own wedding and from playing people's weddings, but...

My own - we did it after the meal, but before the break between the afternoon reception and the evening reception.

From playing weddings as a band, we see all sorts of timings. I've seen a few do it in the evening, before people go home, but mostly it seems to be cut before we get there. We usually set up in the gap mentioned above, before the evening guests are arriving, and it's usually done by then, but from discussions with our brides and grooms, the best thing I could say is speak with the wedding planner at the venue, as they'll most likely have a plan! :)

Your band would normally do 2 x 45minute sets (that's what we do anyway for weddings). You might want to incorporate that in? Plus 11.30 seems early to close?

The band we are going with are just doing a 1 hour set- as we didnt want a band on for too long plus they are very expensive!!

the music has to end at 11.30 as we are in a marquee and the rules of the venue stipulate this- but we are starting at 1pm so i think we will all be ready for our beds by then anyway!

I think we will cut our cake after the meal and speeches like you suggested

thanks

We are planning to cut our cake after our first dance, before the evening buffet. We decided this because I want as many people as possible to see the cake (my mum is making it for us, I want to show it off! :-)). it will then come out with or just after the evening food.

Your timings seem to make sense to me. We will get married at 3pm and have to have everyone gone by midnight. I'm quite glad, I think its going to be a tiring day!

x

The band we are going with are just doing a 1 hour set- as we didnt want a band on for too long plus they are very expensive!!

the music has to end at 11.30 as we are in a marquee and the rules of the venue stipulate this- but we are starting at 1pm so i think we will all be ready for our beds by then anyway!

I think we will cut our cake after the meal and speeches like you suggested

thanks

That makes sense - noise limits and all that. I'm slightly puzzled that they're charging so much to make it that you have to limit it to an hour, but nevermind that. As long as the drink's flowing, everyone's having fun, you'll have a great time I'm sure! :)

Archived