17 billion (plus) on High Speed Trains

I just hope this is the first of many new fast rail links nationally.

Totally agree, bloody morocco has more HSR lines than us! We should create a network all over the uk, it would transform how we do business and it would even have an positive effect on our overcrowded roads!

I would have thought that (if it's to be believed) a million jobs created. That in itself would benefit the econony!!! I don't know how else...but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to enlighten us, or say it won't, as the case may be!..:hihi:

It will benefit the economy (when it is complete) by moving people & goods around the country faster and at a lower cost than is currently possible (if you ignore the building costs).

This means that people as far away as Sheffield, Leeds & Manchester will be able to commute to London for work & people from a wider area will be able to work in Sheffield too. Sheffield businesses will be able to serve a wider area & will be able to set up better links with London & other UK cities.

We have a lot to gain from improving transport & communication links.

Thanks, it's good to see. Does anyone know how long the Sheffield-Brum-London is estimated to take ? Or has this not evan been published.

I've no idea, but I think all the currently published details about the plan have been published on that website, it was updated this morning, so that is the latest info anybody has. Leah-Lacie mentioned it should take 1hr 20 mins from Leeds to London, so less than that.

Thanks, it's good to see. Does anyone know how long the Sheffield-Brum-London is estimated to take ? Or has this not evan been published.

If Leeds to London is approx 80 mins, and Birmingham is 33 minutes (which are, I believe, about half the time it currently takes?), I would estimate a Sheffield - Birmingham journey about 30 minutes.

This is if my time figures, as I heard them on the news today are all correct :)

Archived